• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Private investor looks to revive Brighton’s Madeira Terrace with hotel and restaurants

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 4 Aug, 2018 at 2:02PM
A A
4
New Madeira Terrace supports to be placed either side of Concorde2

The fenced off Madeira Terraces - Picture by Jax Atkins from 2016

A private investor wants to revive the rundown Madeira Terrace on Brighton seafront with a hotel and restaurants.

Boxpark founder and chief executive Roger Wade aims to use the scheme as a way of restoring the crumbling Victorian architecture of his hometown.

The company said that it had submitted plans to turn Madeira Terrace into an “internationally renowned leisure destination showcasing the vibrancy and creativity of the city”.

The plans include a food and beverage offer, which would extend on to Madeira Drive in good weather, and a hotel, according to the specialist Propel newsletter.

It reported plans to “augment” the arches with a new building that would “substantially increase commercial performance” in the area.

The newsletter said: “The plan also includes new green spaces along Madeira Terrace and the road above, Marine Parade, while tourist attraction Volk’s Railway would be integrated into a ‘shared landscape’.”

It said that Boxpark had requested a 12-month exclusivity period to explore design, funding and management options with Brighton and Hove City Council.

Mr Wade is believed to be looking to unlock the entire Brighton strategic development programme by “linking key development sites along the seafront”.

A company spokesman told Propel: “Our proposal will restore Madeira Drive to its former glory as Brighton’s premier all-year leisure and event destination and an internationally renowned visitor attraction.

“This proposal will create a dynamic and active retail parade with a sustainable, year-round food and beverage offer, extending on to the street in good weather to animate and enliven the entire beachfront.

“The retail offer will be carefully curated from our extensive database of leading UK operators and within our existing relationships with leading hospitality businesses.

“The upper levels of the new buildings are to be hotel accommodation of circa 160 suites, with potential for one of the blocks to be converted to office space.”

Soho House already has permission to create a £60 million members’ club on the seafront that would include restaurants, bars, an open-air plunge pool and terraces.

Both projects are close to the Palace Pier, which is now owned by the entrepreneur Luke Johnson.

Boxpark is working on a site in Wembley and has other London sites in Shoreditch and Croydon.

The company is also collaborating with Adur and Worthing councils on a project called Shoreham Beach Box in partnership with Fatboy Slim and chef Danny Stockland.

They hope to create a destination for tourists and the community, with an annual calendar of talks, workshops and events.

The partnership was developed in April last year and the scheme is due to be built in the spring and summer next year.

Carphone Warehouse founder Sir Charles Dunstone is chairman of Boxpark.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Ben P. says:
    8 years ago

    I am not against the development of the arches with a hotel, but more restaurants? There is already a Harvesters, and soon to be another 3 or 4 restaurants being developed as part of the SOHO House project, what is needed in addition to the hotel, are more boutique shops, exhibition space, galleries etc as proposed by Brighton Council, NOT simply a hotel and restaurants which most Brighton locals I would guess won’t visit.
    Also the existing uses of Madeira Drive need to be maintained, especially the Brighton Marathon, Brighton Speed Trials, and all the other motoring and non-moting events, this should definitely NOT become an exclusively hotel and restaurant area!

    Reply
    • Rob says:
      8 years ago

      Gosh if there is a Harvester, who would possibly want anything else…..

      Reply
    • Marcus says:
      8 years ago

      Harvester is for chavs. Soho house for cool people. We need more trendy places. Harvesters should be saved for portslade. Worthing etc to match the demographics

      Reply
  2. Mrs Pearl Moore says:
    8 years ago

    I think it is a wonderful idea clean up the area have some where for people to go in the day and evening like abroad creates more jobs for people get on with it I say me being a Brighton born and bred love to see it alive again

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Private investor looks to revive Brighton’s Madeira Terrace with hotel and restaurants

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
August 2018
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News