• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Labour keeps control of Brighton and Hove City Council

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 5 Mar, 2019 at 5:19PM
A A
1
Homes and health top new Brighton and Hove council leader’s ‘to do’ list

Councillor Daniel Yates

Labour has kept control of Brighton and Hove City Council at a crunch meeting at Hove Town Hall this afternoon (Tuesday 5 March), with support from the Greens.

Councillor Daniel Yates

The Tories called it a Green and Labour love-in and a coalition of chaos but Labour council leader Daniel Yates said that he was prepared to wait until the local elections in May to see if voters wanted a change.

Opposition Conservative leader Tony Janio said: “The question is how did we get here? Well, we got here because we gained a new councillor and there were various other movements.

“But the simple fact is that it is convention within this council for many years that the largest party forms the administration.

“We are the party of law, morals and traditions. We believe in upholding traditions. That’s why we requested this meeting. No power grab. Nothing silly like that.

“We should be the administration. I can see now that the Greens and Labour as usual will gang up on us. They always do.

“But why do this now? It’s because the Labour council are in a decaying administration.

“Just leave them another 58 days, people are saying, until the election. But then there’s a few more weeks until they form an administration.”

Councillor Janio added: “I’m afraid the running of this city is simply too important to leave to the current crumbling Labour administration.

“So we did the right thing. We are trying to take hold of this administration, grip it and take the city forward. That’s why we called for this meeting.”

Former Tory leader Geoffrey Theobald also railed against Labour for breaching the long-held convention that the largest party runs the council.

Councillor Tony Janio

Councillor Yates said: “In eight weeks and three days we will know what the will of the people is because we’ll have the city council election results. We take nothing for granted.

“What we’ve listened to tonight is the most appalling piece of party politicking that I’ve heard in this chamber since I’ve been a councillor … It is fairly unedifying.

“Councillor Theobald talked about convention – and how important convention and tradition is – and I do take that point.

“But it’s also the convention in this chamber that whoever comes along and wants to be able to run the administration of this great city should be able to carry the confidence of the full council.

“And if a group cannot carry the confidence of the full council, they do not deserve the right to continue in administration or to be the administration.”

He said that the Conservative group didn’t have the confidence of the full council.

Labour deputy leader Gill Mitchell said: “I want to assure this council and residents that we do not want to desert any sinking ship. It’s still full steam ahead.”

She said that there had been record investment in Brighton and Hove and that councillors were “so right” to highlight the risk to the Valley Gardens scheme and the Tories’ reckless attempt to wreck it.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. QK says:
    7 years ago

    The only way I would vote for a Tory is if they back a “No Deal” Brexit otherwise I view ALL main political Parties as “Dead Parties Walking”

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Labour keeps control of Brighton and Hove City Council

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
March 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News