• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Campaigners celebrate blocking low-cost homes plan for poorer Brighton families

by Frank le Duc
Monday 18 Mar, 2019 at 5:29PM
A A
0
Campaigners celebrate blocking low-cost homes plan for poorer Brighton families

Campaigners from Save Whitehawk Hill Local Nature Reserve protest outside Hove Town Hall

Campaigners were celebrating after plans to build low-cost homes for hundreds of poorer working families in Brighton were formally halted today (Monday 18 March).

The protesters, from Save Whitehawk Hill Local Nature Reserve, said that the proposed new homes “should not be at the expense of nature and the communities that enjoy the hill”.

They had been fighting plans to build more than 200 flats close to several other blocks at the top end of Whitehawk.

The plans were drawn up by Homes for Brighton and Hove – a joint venture between the Hyde housing association and Brighton and Hove City Council.

The decision was made at a board meeting at Hove Town Hall today after the campaigners staged a demonstration outside this morning.

The campaign group said that despite the reprieve, the nature reserve had not been save yet.

It said: “Local residents are jubilant that at a board meeting today Homes for Brighton and Hove, a joint venture partnership between Brighton and Hove City Council and Hyde Housing, has decided to drop proposals to build five high-rise housing blocks in the middle of Whitehawk Hill Local Nature Reserve.

“The proposals would have cut the reserve in half, damaging its integrity and threatening its wildlife, as well as severing views along the hill and interrupting access to and from the Downs.

“While fully supporting the demand for social housing and preferably council housing in the city, Save Whitehawk Hill Local Nature Reserve argued this should not be at the expense of nature and the communities that enjoy the hill and that other ways of delivering these homes should be sought such as on the Brighton General Hospital site.

“However, the battle isn’t over as Whitehawk Hill is currently on a list of housing allocations in the City Plan Part 2, which means that there could be another development on the nature reserve in the future.

Ecologist Richard Bickers said ‘The next stage in the campaign is to fight to get Whitehawk Hill removed from the list of allocations in (the draft) City Plan Part 2.

“We will be submitting a representation challenging the evidence behind this allocation and seeking the continued support of the communities that use and love the hill to safeguard it for the future.”

The council said: “Proposals from the Homes for Brighton and Hove partnership to develop more than 200 new affordable homes on a site in the north of Whitehawk are to be stopped.

“The decision was taken at a Homes for Brighton and Hove board meeting on Monday 18 March following a report identifying that the development of affordable housing would not be financially viable due to a number of access and technical difficulties on the site.

Campaigners from Save Whitehawk Hill Local Nature Reserve protest outside Hove Town Hall

“Homes for Brighton and Hove is a partnership between Brighton and Hove City Council and the Hyde Group, aiming to build 1,000 new much-needed affordable homes for rent and sale in the city for lower-income local working households.

“The Homes for Brighton and Hove board is made up of three councillors from the main parties on the council’s Housing and New Homes Committee and three representatives from Hyde.

“The Whitehawk site had been identified for housing development in the draft City Plan Part 2, following the requirement to look for sites for 1,000 new homes on the city’s urban fringe to help meet the urgent need for housing established in the City Plan Part 1.

“Feedback from the public consultation and some local opposition expressing concerns about the environmental impact of the proposals were noted by the partners.

“Landscape and ecology studies have shown that, with certain ecological mitigations in place, housing could be developed on the site without significant adverse impacts on the local nature reserve.

“Plans for the first two Homes for Brighton and Hove proposed developments in Portslade and Coldean are progressing and further sites are being investigated.”

Council leader Daniel Yates signalled the demise of the scheme at a meeting of the council’s Policy, Resources and Growth Committee at Hove Town Hall on Thursday 24 January.

Councillor Yates said: “A number of complexities have come up with the Whitehawk Hill urban fringe site, including technical issues that impact on the financial viability of the proposed development.

“In view of these issues it is my intention to ask the Homes for Brighton and Hove board to consider removing the development of the Whitehawk Hill site from its proposals.

“Any final decision on this site will come back to a future Policy, Resources and Growth Committee.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Campaigners celebrate blocking low-cost homes plan for poorer Brighton families

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
March 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News