• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

A Green future for Brighton and Hove

by Frank le Duc
Friday 22 Mar, 2019 at 12:03AM
A A
3
Opposition parties criticise Labour over council chief’s departure

Councillor Phélim Mac Cafferty

On Thursday 2 May, Brighton and Hove residents will have the opportunity to say who they want to represent them on the city council.

The elections take place against Brexit chaos and the climate emergency while Tory austerity continues to fail our communities, with our city losing £1 in every £2 in real-terms funding since 2010.

Amid the challenges, if you want to know what Green councillors stand for, look at what we have done in the last few weeks.

Following Labour councillor resignations and defections, it was Green councillors who stopped the Tory takeover of the council.

We also ploughed £12.5 million back into the council budget, reversing some of the Labour council’s worst cuts, preventing homelessness and bringing in half a million pounds to tackle climate change.

We have stood firm against Brexit, making our council the first to endorse a “people’s vote”.

Last week, I was proud to unveil the Green manifesto plans for our city and provide a snapshot here.

Building on the Greens’ new council-run homeless shelter, we are committed to tackling the city’s housing crisis. We’ll build 600 new council houses and set up a council-run not-for-profit lettings agency. We’ll triple investment in homeless schemes that work, like Housing First.

Four years of a Labour council has left our city awash with graffiti and grime. With the funding we won at budget council we’ll improve our city centre.

We’ll let empty shops to business start-ups to bring confidence back to the high street.

We’ll revisit the recycling deal with waste company Veolia and curtail single-use plastics at events.

In the face of Tory austerity, community services are facing rising demand and we’ll protect sexual health and domestic violence services.

We also want to ensure our city is safe and welcoming for all and that our diverse communities are represented through the council’s decision making.

In the face of Labour division and Tory Brexit chaos, we know the city needs change and a positive, coherent plan for the future.

Greens are ready to stand up and lead Brighton and Hove. Read our plans: bit.ly/BHGPmanifesto.

Councillor Phélim Mac Cafferty is the convenor of the Green group on Brighton and Hove City Council.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Rolivan says:
    7 years ago

    How do you propose letting empty shops to start ups unless they are Council owned?

    Reply
    • Anthony says:
      7 years ago

      hahaha…oops….looks like you broke the dreaming pipeline….

      Reply
  2. Anthony says:
    7 years ago

    “Four years of a Labour council has left our city awash with graffiti and grime.”
    – I must say, I expected better from you Phelim than to play this hot potato act.
    Brighton has always been that way, it used to be enjoyed as culture before too many folks who would feel uneasy living in a town with artwork on the walls because it makes them think that maybe not everything in life is instagram filters and activated advocado toast.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

New bus route to start next month

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

A Green future for Brighton and Hove

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
March 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News