• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Pav Tav owners say it will now reopen following refurb

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 25 Sep, 2019 at 10:06AM
A A
0
One of Brighton’s oldest pubs to close


Rumours of the demise of the Pavilion Tavern may have been exaggerated – but its owners are remaining cagey as to what exactly the future holds for the 200-year-old pub.

A notice on the pub’s website yesterday announced the pub was closing permanently from tomorrow (Thursday) – but its owners, pub chain Mitchells and Butlers – now say the closure is temporary.

The website has also been amended, to say the pub will be closing while work on the upper floors takes place, adding: “Watch this space for what comes next.”

A notice on the pub says a major building project to convert disused rooms above the pub into nine flats followed by refurbishment of the pub starts this week.

The project is set to take 19 weeks, although the client, Mitchells and Butlers, has set aside a total of 27 weeks for the project.

However, the pub chain has so far not confirmed the pub will reopen as the Royal Pavilion Tavern – or whether it will be holding on the pub or selling it.

A spokesperson for the Royal Pavilion Tavern said: “Work is about to commence with substantial investment to create flats on the upper floors of the building, and the business of The Royal Pavilion Tavern is required to temporarily close in order to facilitate this significant development.”

Planning permission was granted in 2017 to create nine flats on the first, second and third floors of the Grade II listed building, with the ground floor to continue as a pub.

However, the nightclub on the first floor becomes flats under the approved plans.

Drawings submitted with the application show little or no changes to the layout of the ground floor.

The application states: “The ground floor is to remain as existing except for the small area which is currently nightclub toilets and fire exit. This will become the main entrance to the flats with storage and retention of staircase.

“The first floor nightclub is unviable and will be stripped out and converted to flats as shown on proposed plans … the first floor nightclub windows have been blocked off and the proposals are to open these back up with repairs as necessary to retain the existing.

“There is a requirement under building regulations for sound insulation to be introduced to the floor between the pub/restaurant and flats above.

“The intentions are to retain the pub/restaurant ceiling and introduce a sound insulation system which sits on top of the floor.”

It concludes: “The proposed conversion will bring back disused areas into use with repairs to ensure its long term use and upkeep. The proposals have very minimal impact on the exterior of the building and no significant disruption on the interior.

“The proposals will provide well needed residential accommodation close to the town centre.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Pav Tav owners say it will now reopen following refurb

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
September 2019
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News