• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Pav Tav owners say it will now reopen following refurb

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 25 Sep, 2019 at 10:06AM
A A
0
One of Brighton’s oldest pubs to close


Rumours of the demise of the Pavilion Tavern may have been exaggerated – but its owners are remaining cagey as to what exactly the future holds for the 200-year-old pub.

A notice on the pub’s website yesterday announced the pub was closing permanently from tomorrow (Thursday) – but its owners, pub chain Mitchells and Butlers – now say the closure is temporary.

The website has also been amended, to say the pub will be closing while work on the upper floors takes place, adding: “Watch this space for what comes next.”

A notice on the pub says a major building project to convert disused rooms above the pub into nine flats followed by refurbishment of the pub starts this week.

The project is set to take 19 weeks, although the client, Mitchells and Butlers, has set aside a total of 27 weeks for the project.

However, the pub chain has so far not confirmed the pub will reopen as the Royal Pavilion Tavern – or whether it will be holding on the pub or selling it.

A spokesperson for the Royal Pavilion Tavern said: “Work is about to commence with substantial investment to create flats on the upper floors of the building, and the business of The Royal Pavilion Tavern is required to temporarily close in order to facilitate this significant development.”

Planning permission was granted in 2017 to create nine flats on the first, second and third floors of the Grade II listed building, with the ground floor to continue as a pub.

However, the nightclub on the first floor becomes flats under the approved plans.

Drawings submitted with the application show little or no changes to the layout of the ground floor.

The application states: “The ground floor is to remain as existing except for the small area which is currently nightclub toilets and fire exit. This will become the main entrance to the flats with storage and retention of staircase.

“The first floor nightclub is unviable and will be stripped out and converted to flats as shown on proposed plans … the first floor nightclub windows have been blocked off and the proposals are to open these back up with repairs as necessary to retain the existing.

“There is a requirement under building regulations for sound insulation to be introduced to the floor between the pub/restaurant and flats above.

“The intentions are to retain the pub/restaurant ceiling and introduce a sound insulation system which sits on top of the floor.”

It concludes: “The proposed conversion will bring back disused areas into use with repairs to ensure its long term use and upkeep. The proposals have very minimal impact on the exterior of the building and no significant disruption on the interior.

“The proposals will provide well needed residential accommodation close to the town centre.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Pav Tav owners say it will now reopen following refurb

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Controversial plaque commemorating slave owner removed

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

18 May 2026
A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food  with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

18 May 2026
The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

18 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton 22-23rd May 2026

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

18 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
September 2019
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News