• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Buyer wanted to help restore crumbling Brighton gem – popstars need not apply

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 12 Aug, 2015 at 3:20PM
A A
4
Buyer wanted to help restore crumbling Brighton gem – popstars need not apply

Marlborough House before its latest paint job

The owner of one of Brighton’s most magnificent Regency buildings is seeking a new owner who can carry out his dream of restoring it – but only the right candidate will do.

Tony Antoniades last month secured planning permission to convert the Grade I listed Malborough House in the Old Steine back into a family home after many years of neglect.

But at 74, the company director says he is now too old to carry out the project himself, instead vowing to find the right person to pass the baton onto.

However, he warned that while he might be willing to drop his price for the right buyer, he would not be selling to any Tom, Dick or Harry.

Mr Antoniades said: “Am I going to have time to do it? I think the person who needs to do that needs to be of high net worth, but younger than me.

“I want to see it sold as a finished project where we can control the outcome and avoid gold taps, use modernisms which are non intrusive.

“It’s not going to be young Mr Boyband or a DJ getting involved to heighten their profile – any individual will be carefully vetted. In this case I think less is more. I would be prepared to accept less to find the right man or family.”

The house has lain empty since the 1990s, when the town’s tourist information office moved to the Royal Pavilion building.

Mr Antoniades bought it from Brighton and Hove City council ten years ago, when it was already showing signs of neglect, and says he has not been able to do anything with it in the meantime as all proposed uses were rejected.

He said: “I didn’t want to buy it, I just wanted to stop it becoming a pub. I bought it for £550,000 about 10 or 11 years ago. At that time I was advised that it wasn’t worth a £1 and that’s because of the state the authority left it in.

“The council opposed all approaches from 15-20 potential tenants – everything from casinos to therapies to offices.

“In 2012, the council tried to compulsorily purchase it, but they didn’t have the funds. Two years ago, we had three squatter camps.”

Originally built in about 1765 as a guest house, Marlborough House is one of the most architecturally and historically significant buildings in the city.

It was sold in 1786 to William Hamilton MP, who commissioned Robert Adam to enlarge and model it in the neoclassical style. Adam extended the house to the south, giving it a fashionable facade featuring a detailed doorway and Tuscan columns.

The Prince of Wales, later the Prince Regent and then George IV, came to stay in 1789 and 1795, while his Pavilion was being converted from a farmhouse into Nash’s whimsical Indo-Saracenic masterpiece.

However, although the interior designed by Adam is described by the council’s heritage team as “equally fine”, the fireplaces were lost when the warehouse they were stored in was destroyed by fire.

And Adam himself never completed Marlborough House, with just three rooms on the ground floor his own work.

Mr Antoniades is now talking with Savills with a view to putting it on the market, and is also putting out tenders within the next six to nine months for the restoration work.

And he has raised the prospect the house might one day be open to the public, saying: “I’m certain we can agree something with the authorities where the building could be given access for 21 days a year.”

He also strongly rebutted speculation it might be turned into a party house, sparked in part by the lavish details of the approved application, which included a jacuzzi and sauna as well as lodgings for staff. Marlborough House

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Phoenix says:
    11 years ago

    ‘Man or Family’??

    Are we to take it that Women need not apply?

    Reply
  2. James says:
    11 years ago

    I thought the same Phoenix. A pretty shocking attitude.

    Reply
  3. Christopher Hawtree says:
    11 years ago

    Er, so he doesn’t want it bought by a boyband but would have been happy for it to become a casino?

    When he bought it, he would surely have discussed uses for it that would be allowed?

    Reply
  4. Anti Snob Brigade says:
    11 years ago

    What a snob! A certain DJ has done a lot for Hove, I’m sure he could help here too, snobs permitting. No gold taps? So no women, nouveau riche, lottery winners or Arabs then?

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Buyer wanted to help restore crumbling Brighton gem – popstars need not apply

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
August 2015
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News