• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Demolition of hospital’s Jubilee building begins

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 14 Feb, 2017 at 4:18PM
A A
1
Demolition of hospital’s Jubilee building begins

Work to demolish a hospital building where patients have been treated for more than 100 years has begun this week.
jubilee
The beginning of the hard deconstruction of the Jubilee Building at the Royal Sussex County Hospital has been marked with a ceremonial hammer swing.

Nicki Colburn, the junior sister on the Oncology Ward, exchanged her uniform for protective gear to take the first swing at her department’s old building.

Accompanied by representatives from contractors Laing O’Rourke and H.Smith, Nicki climbed to the top of the scaffold surrounding the Jubilee Building.

Wielding a 2-kilo hammer with some skill she marked both the building and the official start of the hard deconstruction process.

After witnessing how much effort was involved in removing even a small piece of the building by hand Nicki said: “It now makes perfect sense to me why the building has to be taken down using a machine.

“In one way I am sorry to see it go because there are so many stories linked to it, but the age of the building made caring for patents harder. If we want new buildings, and I think everyone does, it makes sense to replace the really old ones.”

The oncology and infectious diseases wards moved out of the Jubilee Building in November of last year as part of the 3Ts Redevelopment’s Decant Programme.

Relocating from the 130 year old facility to the brand new Courtyard Building has already made a real difference to the experience of patients and staff.

The temporary building offers three times as much space per patient, plenty of storage, and 18 of the 22 beds are in single en-suite rooms. The wards will stay in the modular Courtyard Building until their accommodation is ready in the redevelopment’s two new, permanent buildings.

The Jubilee Building will be taken down using a long arm excavator which will remove one level of the building at a time, in small sections. The building’s materials will be removed from the hospital in covered containers.

The Jubilee Building is the largest structure to be taken down in preparation for the redevelopment’s Stage 1 Building.

It took its first patients in 1887 and was named in honour of Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. The deconstruction will be completed in April of this year.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Valerie Paynter says:
    10 years ago

    This is a sad day for loss of history and heritage. It would have been nice to at least retain the frontage and original building line within the wider design. As a respected feature detail.

    The hospital is over 150 years old.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Demolition of hospital’s Jubilee building begins

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
February 2017
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News