• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton woman helped cannabis café

by Frank le Duc
Friday 27 Nov, 2009 at 6:31PM
A A
0

A Brighton woman has admitted her part in the operation of a cannabis café.

Wendy Edwards, 40, of Haybourn Road, Brighton, pleaded guilty to conspiring to supply cannabis at the start of two-week trial.

Two men were convicted at the end of the trial – Michael Allday, 44, of Leconfield Road, Lancing, and Lee Russell, 40, of Ethelwulf Road, Worthing.

Another man also admitted his role – Sebastian Flynn, 20, of Ringmer Road, Worthing.

A fifth man – Paul Bradley, 33, of Loder Gardens, Worthing – was found not guilty by a jury at Kingston Crown Court.

The charges relate to the cannabis café in Freshbrook Road, Lancing.

A Sussex Police press release said: “In January 2007 Sussex Police received reports that a light industrial unit had been purchased for the purpose of distributing and smoking cannabis.

“The premises was identified and located in Lancing, in the heart of a residential area which also contained a school.

“Over a period of several months, the community became increasingly concerned about the activities of what had become known locally as the ‘cannabis café’.

“A series of street briefings with the local community were held – instigated by the police – and a number of disruption tactics employed, including a series of search warrants.

“At the same time, an investigation was under way to establish the group of people responsible for running and profiting from the cafe.

“All five defendants were charged in October last year.”

Detective Sergeant Jason Turner, from Sussex Police, said: “This result is very satisfying for all the officers that have worked on the case that has been long and protracted.

“A full range of police tactics were deployed to disrupt and dismantle an organised crime group distributing and profiting from the sale of cannabis.

“By shutting the café the local community has been allowed to return to normality and the dealing of controlled drugs removed from their doorstep.”

Chief Inspector James Asser said: “This is an excellent outcome for the local community as a result of a partnership formed between the local community, council and our neighbourhood policing team.”

The four defendants who pleaded or were found guilt will be sentenced on 15 January 2010 at Kingston Crown Court.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Brighton woman helped cannabis café

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
November 2009
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News