Firefighters saved three children from a burning top floor flat in Brighton last night (Thursday 28 June).
They rescued a four-year-old boy and two 14-year-olds – a girl and a boy – from the flat in Clarence Square, Brighton, between Western Road and the seafront.
Five Sussex Police officers went into the building to try to bring the children out but had to retreat as they choked on the smoke.
They were joined by East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service crews from Hove and Preston Circus in four fire engines and with the aerial ladder platform.
They brought the children to safety and all three were taken to the Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital to be treated for the effects of breathing in smoke. They were kept in overnight for observation.
The five police officers – a sergeant and four constables – were treated at the Royal Sussex County Hospital and later discharged.
The cause of the fire, which was confined to the flat, has been investigated and is not being treated as suspicious. It is thought to have started accidentally.
The first 999 call came in shortly after 9pm and the fire was under control by at 10.30pm.
The four-year-old boy lived in the flat and was being looked after by the 14-year-old girl, who is related to him.
The boy’s parents were out for the evening but were reunited with their son at the Royal Alex.
LIKE WHAT WE DO? HELP US TO DO MORE OF IT BY DONATING HERE.