• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Leading Brighton Labour member to raise Pavilion Gardens Café with council

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 14 Nov, 2013 at 7:54AM
A A
16

A leading member of the Brighton and Hove Labour Party is raising concerns about the future of the Pavilion Gardens Café at a council meeting today (Thursday 14 November).

Adrian Morris, the party’s executive member for business, the local economy and jobs, has tabled a public question for Brighton and Hove City Council’s Economic Development and Culture Committee meeting.

He is due to ask: “For over 70 years the Sewell family have been serving tea and cakes in Brighton’s Pavilion Gardens from their unique café to both the local community and visitors alike.

“With the aid of Lottery Funding, there’s also a proposed redesign of the gardens that could threaten the café’s existence.

“Can the council confirm that plans, designs and proposals for the Pavilion Gardens and its café will be available to the public prior to the first round application to the Big Lottery and the Heritage Lottery Fund?”

Brighton Festival chief executive Andrew Comben, who is involved in the plans to revive the Royal Pavilion estate, said yesterday (Wednesday 13 November) that the Sewells’ business would be safe.

And council leader Jason Kitcat has previously given the same assurance although he said that the café may be moved to a different location in the grounds of the Dome and Pavilion.

The meeting is due to be held at Hove Town Hall at 4pm. It is open to the public.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 16

  1. Mohammed Asaduzzaman says:
    12 years ago

    Obcourse we should think for this family as they are serving.
    In my knowledge Council are deeply thinking but we should keep pressure to make sure this family not to be thrown after long serving.

    Reply
  2. Mohammed Asaduzzaman says:
    12 years ago

    Obcourse we should think for this family as they are serving.
    In my knowledge Council are deeply thinking but we should keep pressure to make sure this family not to be thrown after long serving.

    Reply
  3. David Sewell says:
    12 years ago

    The cafe and its future is still unclear. The Council/Dome speak of the cafe as being ‘retained as a service’ and of the Sewell family offered first refusal on a new building. This statement confirms the Pavilion Gardens Cafe as you know it will be lost(in these circumstances)as we would lose our rights under the Landlord and Tenant Act to determine our future. The Council knows this to be the case, so continues to peddle this ruse to conceal their real plans regarding the cafe from the public. These plans are to remove us from the gardens lock stock and barrel.

    Reply
  4. David Sewell says:
    12 years ago

    The cafe and its future is still unclear. The Council/Dome speak of the cafe as being ‘retained as a service’ and of the Sewell family offered first refusal on a new building. This statement confirms the Pavilion Gardens Cafe as you know it will be lost(in these circumstances)as we would lose our rights under the Landlord and Tenant Act to determine our future. The Council knows this to be the case, so continues to peddle this ruse to conceal their real plans regarding the cafe from the public. These plans are to remove us from the gardens lock stock and barrel.

    Reply
  5. Dave says:
    12 years ago

    Come on!! There are so many more important issues that the council and local labour mp could be doing.
    Sorting out and helping the ever increasing amount if homeless on our streets for starters.

    Yes i understand that the pavillion needs to be restored/cleaned as its a tourist attraction which brings money into brightons coffers.

    How about using the lottery to help the homeless back into work with shelters.

    The poor will always be the worst off under any government we put into power.

    Reply
  6. Dave says:
    12 years ago

    Come on!! There are so many more important issues that the council and local labour mp could be doing.
    Sorting out and helping the ever increasing amount if homeless on our streets for starters.

    Yes i understand that the pavillion needs to be restored/cleaned as its a tourist attraction which brings money into brightons coffers.

    How about using the lottery to help the homeless back into work with shelters.

    The poor will always be the worst off under any government we put into power.

    Reply
  7. Nicky says:
    12 years ago

    Sorry, Dave, but Brighton has no Labour MPs. Pavilion Gardens falls in the Brighton Pavilion constituency, which is represented in the Houses of Commons by Caroline Lucas of the Green Party.

    Reply
  8. Nicky says:
    12 years ago

    Sorry, Dave, but Brighton has no Labour MPs. Pavilion Gardens falls in the Brighton Pavilion constituency, which is represented in the Houses of Commons by Caroline Lucas of the Green Party.

    Reply
  9. Mohammed Asaduzzaman says:
    12 years ago

    We will continue argue for this family.
    Green are getting crazy then lottery box.
    Lottery would not be long.
    People are so fed up,as we are-what a shame?
    My regards and kind sympathy for this family.

    Reply
  10. Mohammed Asaduzzaman says:
    12 years ago

    We will continue argue for this family.
    Green are getting crazy then lottery box.
    Lottery would not be long.
    People are so fed up,as we are-what a shame?
    My regards and kind sympathy for this family.

    Reply
  11. David Sewell says:
    12 years ago

    Green Councillor Geoffrey Bowden Chair at E.D.C.C. Meeting on Thursday 14th November announced for the first time the “demolition of the Pavilion Gardens Cafe” in plans the Dome and Royal Pavilion will be submitting to Heritage Lottery Fund. He had previously told us for months no plans would be going in with the Bid for gardens at the end of November.

    Reply
  12. David Sewell says:
    12 years ago

    Green Councillor Geoffrey Bowden Chair at E.D.C.C. Meeting on Thursday 14th November announced for the first time the “demolition of the Pavilion Gardens Cafe” in plans the Dome and Royal Pavilion will be submitting to Heritage Lottery Fund. He had previously told us for months no plans would be going in with the Bid for gardens at the end of November.

    Reply
  13. Valerie Paynter says:
    12 years ago

    Can’t help wondering what the Heritage Lottery Fund honchos will make of all the uproar and distress over the plans…..

    Reply
  14. Valerie Paynter says:
    12 years ago

    Can’t help wondering what the Heritage Lottery Fund honchos will make of all the uproar and distress over the plans…..

    Reply
  15. Ken Standing says:
    12 years ago

    Despite supposedly reassuring comments about the Sewell family’s business, keeping the historic and fondly regarded present café is carefully not mentioned ….. by these sly amateur pretend politicians who regard our town as their plaything.

    Reply
  16. Ken Standing says:
    12 years ago

    Despite supposedly reassuring comments about the Sewell family’s business, keeping the historic and fondly regarded present café is carefully not mentioned ….. by these sly amateur pretend politicians who regard our town as their plaything.

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Dave Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Leading Brighton Labour member to raise Pavilion Gardens Café with council

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

School building to become temporary charity hub

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Please Do Not Touch Preview

Please Do Not Touch Preview

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
November 2013
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News