• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Construction work on i360 to begin on Brighton seafront next week

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 26 Jun, 2014 at 12:25PM
A A
22
Brighton and Hove business leaders discuss growth and innovation

Construction work on the i360 tower on Brighton seafront is to start next week.

The 600ft tower, which is being created by Marks Barfield, the firm behind the London Eye, will be the tallest visitor attraction in Britain outside the capital.

As contractors gathered this week before work starts, those behind the giant observation tower said that they were confident that it would be a success after it opens in 2016.

But some still remain sceptical claiming that the £46.2 million project, most of which is funded by a public loan, is a waste of money.

David Marks and Julia Barfield, creators of the Brighton i360 and the London Eye, said: “We have the opportunity to create something truly unique and of international renown here in Brighton and Hove.

“We are excited to be working again with this top team and we are all look forward to seeing the opening of the attraction in summer 2016.”

The Brighton i360 will have an 18-metre diameter pod carrying up to 200 people at a time 450ft (138m) into the air.

The attraction will also include a restaurant, shop, exhibition space and conference facilities at beach level.

It will be run by Brighton i360 Ltd, whose chief executive is tourism expert Eleanor Harris.

Tony Camilleri, managing director of JT Mackley, which is based in Small Dole, near Henfeld, and will work on the project, said: “We are very much looking forward to bringing our local knowledge and coastal experience to the project and to working with this international team on what will become a world famous landmark.”

Marks Barfield has invested £6 million in the project with a further £4 million coming from the Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP).

Brighton and Hove City Council will draw down the remainder of the sum through a government agency called the Public Works Loan Board.

This means that the council can borrow funds and lend them on to the developer of the i360 at a commercial interest rate.

The council then receives a higher rate of interest than it pays the loan board which will earn it nearly £1 million a year.

The loan would be repaid over 25 years but could potentially be repaid sooner if the attraction is more successful than expected.

Work started recently on removing some of the debris from the West Pier.

This has seen the removal of a pillbox dating back to the Second World War.

Conservationists are unhappy that more wasn’t done to protect the historic structure.

The main i360 structure will be brought to Brighton beach in containers with cranes erecting each segment one at a time.

But not everyone is convinced.

Speaking about the project as a whole, Valerie Paynter, of campaign group Save Hove, previously said: “The idea of a viewing platform is hackneyed and old hat. There’s already one down the coast in Weymouth. People don’t fall for that kind of thing anymore.

“To cap it all the security on the loan from Brighton is the tower itself, so if it fails for any reason the city will have to repay the loan. It will be a huge white elephant, with interest payable on it.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 22

  1. Uncle Ruckus says:
    12 years ago

    This will all end in tears; anything that the incompetent and incapable ‘snot’ Green Council gets their hands on is destined to become a complete and utter failure

    Reply
  2. Uncle Ruckus says:
    12 years ago

    This will all end in tears; anything that the incompetent and incapable ‘snot’ Green Council gets their hands on is destined to become a complete and utter failure

    Reply
  3. Phil Lucas says:
    12 years ago

    I’m really pleased to see this finally coming together, it’s going to be an exciting and eye-catching new attraction for our wonderful city. Those who continually rally against it seem to be part of the all too prevalent trend in this country to revel in negativity and opposition whilst offering nothing constructive and forward-thinking in return. This is a unique and beautiful structure. We should be embracing it and the regeneration it will kick-start in the surrounding area.

    Reply
  4. Phil Lucas says:
    12 years ago

    I’m really pleased to see this finally coming together, it’s going to be an exciting and eye-catching new attraction for our wonderful city. Those who continually rally against it seem to be part of the all too prevalent trend in this country to revel in negativity and opposition whilst offering nothing constructive and forward-thinking in return. This is a unique and beautiful structure. We should be embracing it and the regeneration it will kick-start in the surrounding area.

    Reply
  5. Uncle Ruckus says:
    12 years ago

    @Phil Lucas “a unique and beautiful structure”? It looks like a 600ft-tall butt plug (actually, that’s quite a fitting monument to the incompetent, incapable, wretched, spiteful and ultra-PC Green Council)

    Reply
  6. Uncle Ruckus says:
    12 years ago

    @Phil Lucas “a unique and beautiful structure”? It looks like a 600ft-tall butt plug (actually, that’s quite a fitting monument to the incompetent, incapable, wretched, spiteful and ultra-PC Green Council)

    Reply
  7. Phil Lucas says:
    12 years ago

    One man’s butt plug is another man’s beauty.

    Reply
  8. Phil Lucas says:
    12 years ago

    One man’s butt plug is another man’s beauty.

    Reply
  9. Pork William says:
    12 years ago

    Whatever happened to the ‘Dr Caroline Lucas Centre for UFO Research’ that Lucas said that she wanted built in Brighton?

    Maybe the iSore 360 could be its base of operations?

    Reply
  10. Pork William says:
    12 years ago

    Whatever happened to the ‘Dr Caroline Lucas Centre for UFO Research’ that Lucas said that she wanted built in Brighton?

    Maybe the iSore 360 could be its base of operations?

    Reply
  11. HJarrs says:
    12 years ago

    Yes Pork William were is this UFO centre you promised?

    Reply
  12. HJarrs says:
    12 years ago

    Yes Pork William were is this UFO centre you promised?

    Reply
  13. Pork William says:
    12 years ago

    @HJarrs Actually, it was your ‘Dear Leader’ 5-Homes Lucas who proposed that Brighton become the UK’s premier centre for UFO research.

    Surely you remember it? It was hideously embarrassing for you and your bunch of incompetent Marxist Greens.

    Reply
  14. Pork William says:
    12 years ago

    @HJarrs Actually, it was your ‘Dear Leader’ 5-Homes Lucas who proposed that Brighton become the UK’s premier centre for UFO research.

    Surely you remember it? It was hideously embarrassing for you and your bunch of incompetent Marxist Greens.

    Reply
  15. Bernice says:
    12 years ago

    Not very regency .

    Reply
  16. Bernice says:
    12 years ago

    Not very regency .

    Reply
  17. HJarrs says:
    12 years ago

    Pork William I remember very well that when asked to provide evidence you couldn’t. Now you hide behind “ists” and “isms” because it avoids talking about issues.

    How many pseudonyms do you have? Four or five?

    Reply
  18. HJarrs says:
    12 years ago

    Pork William I remember very well that when asked to provide evidence you couldn’t. Now you hide behind “ists” and “isms” because it avoids talking about issues.

    How many pseudonyms do you have? Four or five?

    Reply
  19. Pork William says:
    12 years ago

    @HJarrs I don’t have any pseudonyms at all, but thanks for asking.

    You Greens really are becoming very, VERY desperate; aren’t you?

    Reply
  20. Pork William says:
    12 years ago

    @HJarrs I don’t have any pseudonyms at all, but thanks for asking.

    You Greens really are becoming very, VERY desperate; aren’t you?

    Reply
  21. HJarrs says:
    12 years ago

    If you do or do not support the i360, then that is relevant to the article.

    To make up rubbish about a UFO centre is desperate and sad.

    Reply
  22. HJarrs says:
    12 years ago

    If you do or do not support the i360, then that is relevant to the article.

    To make up rubbish about a UFO centre is desperate and sad.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Construction work on i360 to begin on Brighton seafront next week

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
June 2014
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News