• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Labour members in Moulsecoomb and Bevendean urged to join discussion on suspended councillor

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 13 Aug, 2014 at 11:13AM
A A
5

Labour members in Moulsecoomb and Bevendean are being urged to attend a ward party meeting this evening (Wednesday 13 August) to discuss the suspension of a local councillor.

An email from ward party chairman Robert Brown to the three ward councillors and Labour’s parliamentary candidate for Brighton Kemptown Nancy Platts also asks for her help while warning about damaging fallout.

It follows the suspension of Councillor Leigh Farrow. He has also been told that he cannot be a candidate in the local elections next year – the second attempt to deselect him.

And it follows the suspension of fellow Moulsecoomb and Bevendean councillor Anne Meadows last year.

Earlier this year concerns were raised when the third councillor Mo Marsh almost lost a selection contest after a handful of votes were miscounted.

Mr Brown wrote: “If they (ward party members) turn up and find that one of the councillors has been deselected without consulting the ward members and if Leigh is not reinstated to his post, I can see members leaving the party because it is undemocratic and a hidden few are overruling the members’ wishes.

“This could backfire no only on the council elections next year but also the general election.

“It will look as if Labour cannot work together in the city and as a party in the Kemptown ward.

“The Tory members are just clapping their hands together at this.

“They will say look at Labour. They deselect candidates which the ward has selected and how can you trust them if they do not do what their own party members want?

“This could mean that the city will not trust Labour and the small amount of councillors we do have may become less.

“What the repercussions will be for Nancy I hate to imagine. I hope she can help in this matter. We need a very quick timeline to get this problem over and dealt with.

“We need clear guidance in what needs to be done. If Leigh is not reinstated, a new candidate must be in post by (the) end of October so they can be introduced to ward members and up and running and involved in the ward.”

Mr Brown apologised to Councillor Farrow for sounding mercenary but said that he had to work for the ward’s sake.

Councillor Farrow won back what is regarded as a safe Labour seat on Brighton and Hove City Council in 2011. It was lost to a Conservative, Maria Caulfield, in 2007 after two sitting councillors stood down amid divisions.

Mr Brown continued: “We will fight on your behalf, and hope that Nancy will fight from her end, to see democracy is and the power of the people is empowered.”

An email from another party member, Ray Metcalfe, carried a similar message.

Mr Metcalfe wrote: “Here we go again. After the slurs against Anne Meadows when she finished her stint as mayor we had the farcical election for the prospective candidates for the Moulsecoomb and Bevendean ward where it was obvious the executive were trying to shoehorn in their preferred choice at expense of Mo Marsh.

“Now it is Leigh Farrow in the firing line.

“If this continues, the people who pull the strings won’t have any strings to pull and the ward will be lost!”

A candidate from the earlier selection contest, Harris Fitch, has ruled himself out of the running.

Mr Fitch, who stood in the safe Conservative seat of Rottingdean Coastal in 2011, said that he was now employed in a politically restricted post. As a result, he said, he could not stand in the elections in May next year.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. Valerie Paynter says:
    12 years ago

    This is appalling. In recent months the Labour Party –
    HAD begun to look electworthy but now seems brutish.

    Bad enough we learn that Peter Kyle, standing for parliament in Hove, took a £10,000 donation from the former would-be King Alfred developer Josh Arghiros (Karis) which is chilling enough and now THIS ….. AGAIN!

    Leigh Farrow is an honest councillor who seemingly won’t be ‘druv’ it seems and maybe those doing the driving are the ones who should be removed.

    Reply
  2. Valerie Paynter says:
    12 years ago

    This is appalling. In recent months the Labour Party –
    HAD begun to look electworthy but now seems brutish.

    Bad enough we learn that Peter Kyle, standing for parliament in Hove, took a £10,000 donation from the former would-be King Alfred developer Josh Arghiros (Karis) which is chilling enough and now THIS ….. AGAIN!

    Leigh Farrow is an honest councillor who seemingly won’t be ‘druv’ it seems and maybe those doing the driving are the ones who should be removed.

    Reply
  3. George Coombs says:
    12 years ago

    Yes, I largely agree with Valerie Paynter, the local party is looking as “brutish” as other aspects of the council, a core problem I have found is that the council do not REALLY listen to anyone-her point about this Peter Kyle is also valid, there is too much say one thing and do another

    Reply
  4. HJarrs says:
    12 years ago

    Labour undemocratic? Never!

    Reply
  5. feline1 says:
    12 years ago

    Well, that’s socialism for you, etc etc 🙂

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Labour members in Moulsecoomb and Bevendean urged to join discussion on suspended councillor

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
August 2014
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News