• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Greens reassure election watchdog over proxy votes campaign

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 27 Apr, 2015 at 2:58PM
A A
2
Brighton councillor seeks crowdfunding to publish insider’s book about Caroline Lucas’s election

Caroline Lucas

The Green party has told the Electoral Commission it has not broken election rules after being asked to stop giving students pre-filled proxy voting forms.

The campaign to re-elect Green MP Caroline Lucas to Brighton Pavilion will be analysed via social media

The issue was first raised two weeks ago by Labour who said the forms were being given out at a campaign day on Falmer campus on April 10.

The Liberal Democrats also complained to the Electoral Commission, who said it had told the Green party to stop encouraging voters to appoint a campaigner as proxy.

However, the commission this morning updated its position, saying the Greens had denied the forms were pre-filled, and confirmed they are following the code of conduct.

An Electoral Commission spokesperson said: ‘Our non-statutory code of conduct says voters should not be encouraged to appoint a campaigner as a proxy to minimise the risk of suspicions that campaigners are placing undue pressure on voters.

“We have been in contact with the Green Party and they have confirmed that they are dealing with applications to appoint proxies in line with the code of conduct.”

A spokeswoman for Caroline Lucas said the party had moved to clarify the allegations of pre-filled forms and was satisfied no rules had been broken.

Adam McGibbon, the party’s target constituencies campaign manager, said: “We have been adhering completely to the Code of Practice on this issue and have been vindicated by the Electoral Commission.

“Their initial statement was based upon Labour’s allegation that we were handing out pre-filled in proxy forms. This is not the case.

“We have clarified the situation with Tom Hawthorn, Head of Policy at the Electoral Commission, who, now he is appraised of the facts, is completely satisfied that we are acting within the Code of Conduct for Campaigners.

“It’s a shame that Labour are running a hugely negative campaign in Brighton Pavilion, and part of this includes issuing complaints around Green campaigning activities.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Mark Fredrick says:
    11 years ago

    This is not true. I was offered a filled in form on campus. When I asked to take it away I was told that I had to sign it there as the green supporters details had been filled in. I know other people who have had this happen to as well.

    Reply
    • Tracey Hill says:
      11 years ago

      Hi Mark, I’d be grateful if you could get in touch with me about this. Other people told us exactly what you’re saying. My blog should be posted here, twitter is @TraceyMHill and I’m on Facebook.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Greens reassure election watchdog over proxy votes campaign

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
April 2015
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News