1) The Seagulls would have landed a plum 3rd round tie at home to league champions and cup holders Chelsea if they had managed to overcome the Saddlers.
2) Albion perhaps flattered themselves a little by fielding a starting line up that consisted of 10 changes to the team that beat Blackburn in the league on Saturday (22 August). Some years ago bigger clubs were fined for such actions in the League Cup.
3) Six years ago nine-man Walsall beat Albion in the league at Withdean despite having two men sent off. Remarkably Walsall scored their winner after the dismissals. Even more remarkably Albion beat Manchester City in the League Cup five days later.
4) The Seagulls can at least now concentrate solely on their league position until January. Clubs on cup runs seldom achieve promotion, with Bradford City being a recent honourable exception.
5) The events of the weekend somewhat pale the result into insignificance in a competition Albion were unlikely to win. The impeccably observed periods of silence throughout country in all League Cup ties were a fitting and touching tribute to those who lost their lives at Shoreham on Saturday, including two people – Matt Grimstone and Jacob Schilt – connected to the Albion.