• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Government accused of being ‘cagey and vague’ over refusal to release early BML2 report

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 26 Jan, 2016 at 10:02AM
A A
4
Rail union calls five-day strike

As anger mounts over poor services on the overcrowded Brighton mainline, the Government is refusing to release any details of an interim report into the feasibility of a second line from the capital to the coast.

Southern trains stock shot
The Network Rail study was originally confined to whether the Lewes to Uckfield line could be reopened, but was widened to look at how this could form part of a second line from London to Brighton in August when the Government boosted its funding.

Rail minister Claire Perry has answered parliamentary questions by both Brighton Pavilion MP Caroline Lucas and Hove MP Peter Kyle by saying an interim report has now been completed – but details will not be released until the full report is published in “early 2016”.

Ms Lucas said: “The minister answered my question by saying she is keeping the interim findings of the BML2 study secret.  This is unacceptable.

“Ministers might try and argue that things are at an early stage but that does not wash – the notion of the need for a study into this rail corridor has been around for a very long time, and the timeframe of ‘early 2016’ is far too vague.

“Last week, there was an angry meeting of MPs with ministers and rail bosses, because we still face chaos on the Brighton mainline with cancellations and severe delays, bringing chaos and major inconvenience to the thousands of people who daily rely upon this essential line.

“To expand the capacity between Brighton and Hove and London, we have got to have investment in BML2 as a permanent, long-term solution.  Ministers are being cagey and vague over their long overdue BML2 study when what we want is transparency, commitment and action.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Gerald Wiley says:
    11 years ago

    I would just like to know what Caroline and Peter expect from a “BML2”. Is it the panacea of all evils, the same way that nationalisation is supposed to be?

    Will this mean a totally separate, duplicate, route from the capital to Brighton with no “single points of failure”? This is especially as all trains from Victoria seem to end up on a single 2-track viaduct from Battersea to Clapham Junction.

    Will BML2 avoid London Victoria, Clapham Junction, East Croydon, Gatwick Airport and Haywards Heath and provide a totally different route in case of major failures?

    How about a new route from London Bridge to Oxted avoiding East Croydon and thence to Uckfield and Lewes and so into Brighton from the East? What will all those affected by the necessary re-twinning and electrification of current tracks; laying new routes through outer London; and reinstating routes closed by Dr. Beeching through Sussex to support all the additional trains; think of this?

    I imagine, like with HS2, this will be a major field day for all the various NIMBYs. Look what happened with the Bexhill to Hastings link road.

    If journey times via this alternative, BML2, are longer than those on the current route, who will want to use this, except as a fall back route, and if so are their better, less costly options to deal with the situation when there are problems?

    Will Brighton Station need to be increased in size to provide additional platforms, or will we need a new, second station outside the centre of the town with decent parking facilities?

    The whole idea of a BML2 sound wonderful – especially if someone else is funding it – but I just wonder if the proponents of the idea have really thought it through properly.

    Is all this is really wanted is for the current, BML1, to be totally upgraded and modernised to avoid all the problems that have bene occurring and to look at how to increase capacity on what we have already.

    After, all, how many other major towns and cities have the luxury of alternative routes? What is so special about Brighton & Hove?

    Reply
  2. Jon Pratty says:
    11 years ago

    Just do some research, Gerald. Yes, BML2 avoids the East Croydon /Clapham Jnc bottleneck. That is the whole point of it. It’s what Brighton, Eastbourne and towns across East Sussex really need to keep economic development on track. Without it, industries and regeneration now succeeding in the south east will just seize solid.

    Reply
  3. Jon Pratty says:
    11 years ago

    Here’s the BML2 route. The lines shown at East Croydon are new alignments, I believe. http://www.bml2.co.uk/route-plans.html

    Reply
    • Gerald Wiley says:
      11 years ago

      Thanks Jon – didn’t realise all the fine work that had been done.

      Seems most points are covered – most impressed – just wonder what the costs and timescales would be for implementation before any benefits would accrue for BML1 users.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Government accused of being ‘cagey and vague’ over refusal to release early BML2 report

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
January 2016
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News