E-cigarette charger sparks fire at Brighton home

Posted On 04 May 2016 at 2:59 pm

A care home manager has warned of the risk of fire if e-cigarettes are not charged using the correct charger after a blaze was sparked at a Brighton home.

April Baker, the manager of Brighton Housing Trust’s Archway Project, gave the warning after a small fire in one of Brighton Housing Trust’s care homes.

The building was evacuated and the fire was quickly extinguished. There were no injuries and minimal damage because of the stringent fire safety arrangements in the home.

April Baker said: “An e-cigarette being left on charge overheated. The person was using an iPhone plug to charge the product and due to this not being the correct charger it did not cut out when the product was fully charged.

“The Fire Brigade has advised us to check with all clients that they use the chargers that come with the e-cigarette and also to not leave them on charge overnight or if they are going out.

“We have issued a warning to all BHT services and want to use this incident to alert others beyond the organisation of this risk.”

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.