Two people treated after breathing in fumes as Brighton firefighters tackle blaze in West Street

Posted On 28 Jul 2017 at 11:04 pm

Two people were treated after they breathed in fumes when a first-floor flat caught fire in West Street, Brighton, yesterday (Thursday 27 July).

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said that it was called out to deal with the blaze in a three-floor block of flats just before 5.15pm.

The fire service said: “A fire engine from Roedean, two fire engines and the aerial ladder platform from Preston Circus attended West Street, Brighton.

“There was a fire in a first-floor flat of the three-floor building. Everyone was accounted for.

“Crews used two breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet.

“The fire was accidental.

“Two people were treated for smoke inhalation by firefighters.”

About three hours later the fire service was called to a very different job after a gull became trapped in Kemp Town.

The fire service said: “At 8.43pm, Roedean firefighters attended Devonshire Place, Brighton, to help release a gull trapped in netting on the third floor of a property.

“The RSPCA was also in attendance.

“Members of the public are asked to contact animal rescue charities before dialling 999 if they see an animal in distress.”

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.