• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Fatboy Slim backs Brighton’s Madeira Terraces crowdfunding appeal right here right now

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 1 Nov, 2017 at 5:57PM
A A
2

Hove DJ Norman Cook – aka Fatboy Slim – has given his backing to the Madeira Terraces crowdfunding appeal.

The 54-year-old said: “From the first time I saw Quadrophenia, Madeira Terrace has been an iconic part of Brighton to me.

“It means as much to the town as the Royal Pavilion, the piers, the i360, Fatboy Slim and muesli itself!    

“It’s a great shame it’s fallen to decay so please get involved with the crowdfunding so we can all help can save it and ensure it doesn’t meet the same fate as the West Pier.”

Brighton and Hove City Council leader Warren Morgan said: “Norman’s support comes at a crucial time and is very welcome.

“He’s an iconic figure for the city so having his backing for our equally iconic Terraces will boost the campaign to a huge audience.

“Public support for the campaign has been brilliant but, with less than a month to go now, the clock is ticking and we need to show that this project has widespread backing.

“Once we’ve done that it will unlock further funding opportunities from government and heritage groups.

“There’s a strong will in the city to protect and restore the terrace so I would urge all those who care about this to pledge whatever they can.”

The crowdfunding campaign set up by the council has a target of £430,000 to reach before 30 November. So far, half the money needed has been raised through pledges made by the council, residents and local businesses.

For more information about the campaign or to make a pledge visit www.savemadeiraterrace.org.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Des Day says:
    9 years ago

    I was under the impression planning permission for a new development of the terraces had been granted by the council already?

    Reply
    • Jo Wadsworth says:
      9 years ago

      A scheme to redevelop the Aquarium Terraces – including a new branch of Soho House – has been approved, although nothing seems to be happening right now. That’s the complex which includes the Harvester, and formerly housed Burger King and The Terraces restaurant.

      The Madeira Terraces are to the east of that, the Victorian ironwork platforms and staircases which have been partly closed for several years now because of corroding iron.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Fatboy Slim backs Brighton’s Madeira Terraces crowdfunding appeal right here right now

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
November 2017
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News