• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Man referred to social services after women followed through park

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 16 Nov, 2017 at 9:05AM
A A
2
Man referred to social services after women followed through park

A man has been referred to social services after women reported they had been followed around Queen’s Park by an oddly-behaving stranger.

The man was first seen in the park in September, when one woman was followed by him on two occasions, the second time up to the Pepperpot where she waited with a friend until he eventually left.

The second time in early November, the teenager followed another woman out of the park and fondled himself in front of her.

Police say that technically no crime has been committed – but officers who are now regularly patrolling the park have been made aware, and the force is encouraging women to come forward if anything similar happens to them.

And when the first woman spotted the man at the Pepperpot again last Sunday, she informed police who came and took him to the police station.

Patrolling Queens Park #staysafe pic.twitter.com/x8cHFXFvOO

— Brighton&Hove Police (@BtonHovePolice) November 9, 2017

A police spokesman said: “We have had some reports in recent weeks of a man acting suspiciously in the presence of women in the Queens Park area of Brighton.

“There has been no actual assault or threat and children have not been involved. Local officers are aware and are paying extra attention to the area.”

Chief Inspector Chris Veale added: “We have identified an individual who we are monitoring and have referred to adult social services. We treat all incidents seriously and will follow up on every report.”

On Sunday, the man was arrested for breaking bail conditions, and was in court on Monday charged with a string of offences including stealing a bike from Seafield Road, resisting arrest on two previous occasions and assaulting a police officer.

He was released on bail until a future court hearing, with conditions not to enter the Clock Tower Sanctuary or contact witnesses.

Anyone with any information can report online at https://sussex.police.uk/contact-us/report-online/ or call 101.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Rowan says:
    9 years ago

    I’ve was being bullied abused by my neighbour and have ptsd from childhood and adult abuse… was referred to social services as a at risk case and never herd anything back!

    Reply
  2. Nicola Mitchell says:
    9 years ago

    We attended queen’s park over the summer holidays an there was a man practically naked ,no shoes ,just the smallest of briefs an he was going on the swings with the kids trying to play with them,making them an others feel uncomfortable,I reported to the lady at cafe but her response was that it’s her cafe not her park to just call police ,I sat wondering to call police or not ?I didn’t he clearly had special needs ,if there was a warden I would of said something but didn’t want to bother police but to see what may be the same guy still hanging around the same park is worrying,my answer was just to stay away an not return tomwhat was a great park!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Man referred to social services after women followed through park

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Lewes line to reopen next month

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
November 2017
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News