Five people treated in hospital after being rescued from three fires in Brighton and Hove

Posted On 11 Jan 2018 at 7:05 pm

Five people have been treated in hospital after being rescued from three fires over the past 24 hours in Brighton and Hove.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “It was a busy night for East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, with three separate, serious fires and five people transferred to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after having been either rescued or led to safety by firefighters.

“Fortunately there have been no fatalities due to the quick action of crews and working smoke alarms.

“Roedean and Preston Circus crews responded to a kitchen fire in a property on Upper St James’s Street, Brighton.

The Spearhead

“The incident took place on (Wednesday) 10 January at 7.14pm.

“Crews used two breathing apparatus and one CO2 extinguisher. One person was rescued and two people were transferred to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

“At 8.53pm, crews from Hove, Preston Circus, Newhaven and Lewes were alerted to a fire, persons reported, in a high rise property in Walsingham Road, Hove.

“The fire was on the second floor. All persons were accounted for. One female was taken to hospital. Crews then visited neighbouring properties offering reassurance and advice.

“Later in the evening at 9.29pm, Roedean, Preston Circus and Newhaven crews were alerted to another kitchen fire in a property in Hadlow Close, Brighton.

“Crews used breathing apparatus and rescued two males suffering with severe smoke inhalation. The casualties were transferred to hospital.”

Deputy Chief Fire Officer, Mark Andrews, said: “It was a busy night for East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service with two serious kitchen fires and a fire in a high-rise property believed to have been caused by a candle. It was extremely fortunate that there were no fatalaties and I would like to acknowledge the hard work and professionalism demonstrated by our crews for ensuring everyone got out safely.

“Last night clearly demonstrates the need for working, smoke alarms in your property. Test your smoke alarm regularly. Fire can happen at anytime and if it happens to you, a working smoke alarm will give you time to get yourself and your family to safety. Take the time to practise an escape plan, everyone should know what to do in an emergency.”

More than half of accidental fires at home start in the kitchen. Never leave cooking unattended. The majority of fires start in the kitchen so this is a high risk area. Avoid cooking whilst under the influence of alcohol and always turn off kitchen appliances when you have finished cooking.

Never leave burning candles unattended. Keep candles out of the reach of children and don’t leave them unattended or near flammable material.

Leave a Reply


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.