• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton shortlisted by Channel 4 as potential creative hub

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 30 May, 2018 at 11:52PM
A A
2
Conservatives accuse Labour of u-turn over Channel 4 bid

Brighton has been shortlisted by Channel 4 as a potential location for one of its “creative hubs” when the broadcaster moves 300 staff out of London.

The shortlist announced today (Wednesday 30 May) sees Brighton up against the likes of Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester.

Thirteen towns and cities have been shortlisted by the state-owned broadcaster, with seven also in the running to provide a new national HQ for Channel 4.

Out of more than 30 bids, Brighton is among the 13 as one of six places shortlisted to become home to one of two creative hubs.

The decision was welcomed by Conservative councillor Joe Miller who urged Brighton and Hove City Council to submit a bid after Channel 4 spelt out its plans earlier this year.

He was critical of what he believed was disinterest on the part of the council and delighted when a bid was submitted by the Friday 11 May deadline.

Today Councillor Miller said: “I am delighted by the news that Channel 4 has shortlisted Brighton – and that the Labour administration u-turned after my question at full council when I urged the council to make a bid.

“This is good news for Brighton and Hove, our cultural economy and jobs.

“I hope they view our bid positively on final determination and we see Channel 4 put Brighton and Hove well and truly on the broadcasting map.”

Channel 4 said today: “Over 30 submissions were received in this first round from across the UK.

“Each of the shortlisted cities will participate in a second stage process – which will include Channel 4 visiting each city for a presentation and Q&A.

“Following this, Channel 4 will engage in further discussions with cities and regions as necessary, before selecting the final locations in October 2018.

Councillor Joe Miller

“Channel 4’s Chief Commercial Officer, Jonathan Allan, who is leading the pitch process said: “We’ve been incredibly impressed both by the number of pitches we received and by the high quality of the submissions – which has underlined the huge amount of creativity, innovation and talent right across the UK.

“However we have to move to a shortlist phase and, after careful consideration by the Channel 4 executive team, we’ve selected 13 cities that are best able to meet our vision for our new hubs in the nations and regions.

“We look forward to visiting all those on the shortlist as part of our second phase but we will also be continuing to work with all cities and regions as part of our strategy to increase investment and support creative businesses, jobs and growth across the UK.”

Channel 4 announced its “4 All the UK” plan in March 2018 – a strategy to ensure that Channel 4 serves the whole of the UK and the biggest change to the structure of the organisation in its 35-year history.

It said: “At the heart of the strategy is a major new commitment from Channel 4 to significantly increase its nations and regions content spend from its current quota of 35 per cent to a new voluntary target of 50 per cent by 2023.

 

“This will result in a cumulative boost of over £250 million in Channel 4’s nations and regions commissioning spend – which will benefit all parts of the UK.

“It reflects both external analysis and feedback from the industry that increasing spend would have the greatest impact on regional economies and jobs.

“To support and catalyse this spend across the UK, Channel 4 will move to a multi-site operating model, establishing a new national HQ and two new smaller creative hubs in the nations and regions in 2019 – home to jobs from across the business including key creative decision makers.

“When this strategy is fully implemented, 300 Channel 4 jobs will be based in the nations and regions and the intention is to grow this further over time.

“Channel 4 executive board member and chief commercial officer Jonathan Allan has lead executive responsibility, working closely with CEO Alex Mahon, for delivering the 4 All the UK strategy – including leading the pitch process for the new creative hub locations.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Valerie says:
    8 years ago

    The day I first entered the new Jubilee Library in Brighton I was astonished to feel like it should be a broadcast studio – offer it now to Channel 4. The library can go elsewhere.- FULLY HALF the city resources for libraries goes there to service the PFI that got it built. Hove Library is being given over to commercial use because of it.

    Get rid of the Jubilee.

    Reply
    • Robert Jackson says:
      8 years ago

      It’s a great library, but would make a horrifically poor broadcast studio, it would be like Media City in Salford, there because of political pressure, but completely inappropriate for actually making television. TVC was a mess, but until recently was fit for purpose, as is BH. These things need to be made by people who know what they’re doing, and purpose built.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton shortlisted by Channel 4 as potential creative hub

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
May 2018
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News