• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Six Brighton and Hove parks to have new play equipment

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 6 Jun, 2018 at 12:24PM
A A
6
Parents start petition to improve rundown children’s play area in Brighton park

Six parks are to have new play equipment installed in the coming weeks, Brighton and Hove City Council said today (Wednesday 6 June).

Farm Green in Bevendean

Work is due to start in the play areas at Farm Green, in Bevendean, Hangleton Park, Mile Oak Recreation Ground, Preston Park, Queen’s Park and Victoria Rec, in Portslade.

The council said: “The work, which should be completed in time for the school summer holidays, includes new swings at Preston Park, Farm Green and Victoria Recreation Ground.

“A new ‘sway alley bridge’ and train will be installed at Queen’s Park while Hangleton Park will be getting a new climbing frame and slide.”

The total budget for the work is £110,000 with the cost in Preston Park and Queen’s Park being funded from money paid by local developers, known as “section 106” contributions.

The council added: “Work at Farm Green, Hangleton Park, Victoria Recreation Ground and further work in Queen’s Park is being covered by additional council funding allocated last year.

“All work should be completed and the playgrounds reopened by ‪(Friday) 20 July‬.

“The work is being carried out by two local companies Foster Landscapes and Cosmo Construction and information signs with details of the improvements will be erected in parks before the works start.

Farm Green

“In a separate project, Mile Oak playground will benefit from new cradle swings, monkey bars and drums, with work due to start next week.”

Councillor Gill Mitchell, chair of the environment committee said: “I’m really pleased that we have been able to identify funding to improve these popular playgrounds and provide plenty of fun for children across the city all summer long.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. Daniel Harris says:
    8 years ago

    Great News for Bevendean, Hangleton Park, Mile Oak Recreation Ground, Preston Park, Queen’s Park and Victoria Rec, in Portslade.

    But I wonder. Gill Mitchell is a councillor for East Brighton. There has been an active campaign in Whitehawk due to the state of the local parks and facilities. Why is this deprived area ignored again?

    I think if Gill is planning on re standing in the area she should have considered the needs of her residents.

    Am absolutely shocked here. What a kick in the teeth to all those in Whitehawk. There is a large concentration of flats and many don’t have gardens.

    Reply
  2. Amanda Bishop says:
    8 years ago

    Whitehawk is the most deprived area in the City. Surely this area should have been the priority? Wonder what the families and children have to say about this and perhaps our Councillors could offer an explanation?

    Reply
  3. Mercedes says:
    8 years ago

    Are they serious I live in Whitehawk and the park across the road only has one lay in swing 2 tunnels and a rope climbing frame and the grass hasn’t even been cut they need to sort this out I think it’s vile

    Reply
  4. Nat says:
    8 years ago

    Glad for the other parks but when’s Whitehawk’s turn? The families there have the most need and the parks are awful.

    Reply
  5. Rick43 says:
    8 years ago

    Whitehawk have actively and positively been campaign for this. The park is in constant use. Why has it been left out!!!!. In this age where child need to be encouraged to go. What a disgrace brighton council are

    Reply
  6. Donna says:
    8 years ago

    We have been campaigning for over 3 years for hangleton park with an active friends of hangleton park group and a fantastic councillor and have been given a new climbing frame the rest of the park is all broken and is always getting trashed keep going whitehawlk your hard work will pay off 😁

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Six Brighton and Hove parks to have new play equipment

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
June 2018
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News