• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Elderly residents double billed for expensive but inadequate new heaters

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 13 Jun, 2018 at 8:08PM
A A
2
Elderly residents double billed for expensive but inadequate new heaters

Elwyn Court

Elwyn Jones Court

Elderly residents were given a formal apology over a problematic refit of the water heating system in their block in Brighton last year.

They were double charged, with Brighton and Hove City Council billing them for both the new heaters and the old communal heater after it was removed from Elwyn Jones Court, just off London Road, Brighton.

And the new heaters left them even worse off, with much higher bills, even though the common areas in their block were no longer heated.

They still have not had refunds, Councillors Lee Wares told the council’s Housing and New Homes Committee today (Wednesday 13 June). Modest adjustments were being made to the pensioners’ rent bills.

The Patcham Conservative councillor told the committee at Hove Town Hall that one resident said: “At 86, I’m trying to stay alive long enough to get my refund and reduced charges.”

And another said: “We are too old so we don’t matter.”

The plight of the pensioners prompted Councillor Anne Meadows, the Labour chair of the housing committee, to offer her sincere apologies.

She said that it was taking too long to resolve and thanked residents for their patience as the situation was sorted out.

Councillor Wares said: “Sixteen months ago new water heaters started being installed to 52 flats. Sixteen months ago pensioners started to be overbilled for service charges.

“Sixteen months later, after taking their pensions and benefits, the council has not refunded them.

“And to add insult to injury, the new charges are based on figures the council has not been able to justify.

“The heaters are not fit for purpose. They fail to provide enough hot water such as for washing hair.

“But something we learnt in the last few days that is more outrageous is that the new heaters are costing residents two to three times more on their electricity bills.

“Not only has the council double charged them and kept the money, it has installed equipment residents can’t afford to use.

“One resident stores her washing up to do once a week because she can’t afford the bills. Another doesn’t even use the heaters and supplies all his hot water by boiling kettles.

“You have got to be kidding that this is what this council is doing. I’m ashamed just reading this out.

Councillor Lee Wares

“We have also learnt that the installations are suffering from poor workmanship and nobody gave a thought to the fact that the old water cylinders – now ripped out – used to heat the flats’ halls and provide a level of ambient warmth. Now the flats are colder.

“And when they complain nobody deals with the complaints.

“This is not good enough. Ask officers to deal with the remedies without delay.

“This is a damning indictment of this administration. I am sure every one of us is horrified to learn how our elderly are treated, some of whom don’t even understand what is happening.

“What happened to our duty of care? End this shameful situation today.”

Councillor Meadows said that officers would meet tenants again and listen to their concerns as they sought to remedy the situation.

She said: “We have formally apologised … The delay in rent account adjustments is not acceptable. Residents want a lump sum refund rather than rent adjustments.

“It’s taking too long to sort out and affecting residents’ electricity bills.

“Lessons have been learnt from this unfortunate incident. I would like to thank residents of Elwyn Jones Court for their patience and sincerely apologise.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. rolivan says:
    8 years ago

    Same old Lessons have been learnt apologise made rolled out a yet again.

    Reply
    • bright hell stone says:
      8 years ago

      Simalare to what happened at Lindfield Court
      MaybeMears involved again subbing bthe work

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Elderly residents double billed for expensive but inadequate new heaters

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
June 2018
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News