• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Brighton primary school head leaves after ‘serious accusations’

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 25 Sep, 2018 at 6:44PM
A A
0
Brighton primary school head leaves after ‘serious accusations’

Suzanne Morgan

The head teacher of a Brighton primary school has left her post after serious accusations were made about the way that the school was being run.

Suzanne Morgan has left Saltdean Primary School, having been “signed off work due to ill health early in the summer term”.

Suzanne Morgan

She earned praise from a former Schools Minister four years ago for the progress being made by pupils from the age of 7 to 11.

David Laws, who was a minister in the coalition government at the time, said that the school was ranked among the top 250 primaries in the country for progress from key stage 1 to key stage 2 – the junior school years.

And the schools watchdog Ofsted rated Saltdean Primary, in Chiltington Way, as good when it was last inspected four years ago.

For now, Natalie Burley is acting head teacher, with Natalie Miller and Katy Reeve as her acting deputy heads.

News of the head’s departure was confirmed when the chair of governors Joe Paxton wrote to parents today (Tuesday 25 September).

He said: “As you are aware, Mrs Morgan was signed off work due to ill health early in the summer term and has been absent from school since then.

“We can now confirm that Mrs Morgan has now left the school’s employment.

“We also need to inform you that serious accusations were made during the last academic year concerning aspects of the school’s operation.

“The governing body has considered the evidence that has been presented to it and has taken appropriate action to ensure the continuing success of the school.

“We would like to reassure our school community that the accusations that have been made are not around child safeguarding issues and that no member of the school community has been put at risk of harm.

“For legal reasons the school is unable to comment further at this stage.

Natalie Burley

“However, we will make a full disclosure about the situation as soon as we are able to do so.

“We would like to apologise for the uncertainty that our level of communication on this matter may have caused.

“However, processes and procedures have, and continue to, dictate what we are able to say.

“All questions should be directed to the chair of governors via the school inquiries email.

“Mrs Burley has done a fantastic job acting as acting head teacher in Mrs Morgan’s absence.

“I am delighted to be able to tell you that Mrs Burley has agreed to continue in her role as acting head teacher.

“We would also like to thank Ms Miller and Mrs Reeve who have agreed to take up the acting deputy head position.

“This will allow for the high standards of the school to be maintained until permanent arrangements can be made.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton primary school head leaves after ‘serious accusations’

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
September 2018
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News