• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Domestic and sexual violence support service contract to end later next year

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 3 Oct, 2018 at 10:06PM
A A
1
Yes or no? Should we have a referendum on how much council tax we pay?

A support service for victims of domestic and sexual violence looks likely to have its contract extended for just two more months after concerns were raised by Brighton and Hove councillors.

The contract for The Portal, which offers a single point of contact for victims across Brighton and Hove and East Sussex, is currently due to end in September next year.

A Brighton and Hove City Council committee is being asked to keep funding the contract until the end of November next year so that a new service, including a refuge for victims in Brighton and Hove, can be commissioned.

The moves come after the council’s Neighbourhoods, Inclusion, Communities and Equalities Committee was told that in the six months from the start of October last year The Portal received 3,502 referrals.

These included

  • 934 domestic violence and abuse referrals involving Brighton and Hove residents (30 per cent of domestic violence and abuse referrals)
  • 200 sexual violence referrals involving Brighton and Hove residents (42 per cent)

In Brighton and Hove it was estimated that in the past year

  • 7,639 women and girls aged 16 to 59 and 3,868 men and boys experienced domestic violence and abuse
  • 2,515 women and girls and 677 men and boys were sexually assaulted

A report to the committee also said that in Brighton and Hove

  • There were 4,703 domestic violence incidents and crimes reported to Sussex Police in 2016-17 and 821 sexual offences
  • From 2013-14 to 2016-17 there was a 28 per cent increase in incidents of domestic violence and a 115 per cent increase in sexual assaults

The thousands of victims referred to The Portal are offered support under the £1.4 million-a-year contract which is funded by Brighton and Hove City Council, East Sussex County Council and the Office of the Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner.

The Portal contract is provided by a partnership led by Rise, along with the Survivors’ Network – the charity visited by Prince Harry and Meghan today – and CGL (Change Grow Live).

The initial three-year contract was due to be renewed for a further five years from September but concerns were raised by Conservative and Green members of the Neighbourhoods, Inclusion, Communities and Equalities Committee in July.

Instead the contract was extended for six months until the end of next September and an in-depth report was ordered.

The concerns raised included a lack of detailed information about how it worked and a lack of control and oversight.

The new report is due to be discussed by the committee next Monday (8 October) – and officers have recommended extending the contract only until November 2019 rather than the five years originally proposed.

In the new report officers still recommend that councillors give executive director for neighbourhoods, communities and housing Larissa Reed the authority to work with the council’s partners to commission a new service.

A cross-party group of councillors is proposed to oversee the commissioning process.

When the committee discussed the contract in July, Green councillor Pete West said that he was concerned about rushing into committing to the joint project for a further five years.

Councillor West asked for more information as he was “not comfortable” supporting the commission with the information that he had.

Conservative councillor Robert Nemeth said that there were four reasons why the council should work alone rather than with others to commission the new service.

These were lack of control for Brighton and Hove overseeing the service going forward, disruption to charities having to tender again, uncertainty about where any unspent money would go and a lost opportunity to experiment.

Councillor Nemeth said after the meeting: “What is most important was I felt there was a lack of control as far as Brighton and Hove City Council had in overseeing the service going forward.

“There is a lack of control in signing up to a much bigger version and we cannot be nimble.

“I think all public services should be nimble as they move and adapt.”

In the past financial year the council spent £670,000 on The Portal and has earmarked the same sum for 2019-20, making up almost half the budget for the service.

The committee is due to meet at 4pm on Monday (8 October) at Hove Town Hall. The meeting is open to the public.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Nicola Davies says:
    7 years ago

    This article is based on discussion at council committee and does not accurately reflect the wider current situation. The article implies that support services for survivors of domestic and sexual abuse survivors will end at the end of next year, which is not the case. We need to have this clarified to avoid people of Brighton & Hove feeling unsafe.

    The article also takes sections of the committee report out of context and in doing so implies that the contract has been mishandled by RISE, our partners Change Grow Live and Survivor’s Network. This is not the case at all. We need to put the record straight to reassure people receiving essential and lifesaving support.

    Jo Gough – RISE CEO

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Restored cast iron returns to Madeira Terrace for reassembly

Domestic and sexual violence support service contract to end later next year

Man found dead in house this morning

Brutal rapist targeted woman he met on night out in Brighton

Greengrocer leaves market over plans to reduce opening hours

Café can become gym after plans approved

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Cabaret Voltaire announce live album ahead of final Sussex concert

Cabaret Voltaire announce live album ahead of final Sussex concert

18 February 2026
Vent 414 supergroup announce a return

Vent 414 supergroup announce a return

18 February 2026
Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

18 February 2026
Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

18 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
October 2018
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News