• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Babes in the Wood double murder trial – Jury urged to reject flawed case

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 6 Dec, 2018 at 3:58PM
A A
0
Man arrested over ‘Babes in the Wood’ murder of two Brighton girls

Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway

The jury in the Babes in the Wood double murder trial have been urged to reject the flawed case against former Brighton roofer Russell Bishop.

Murder victims Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway

Bishop, 52, is accused of murdering two nine-year-old girls – Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway – in Wild Park, Moulsecoomb, in October 1986.

He is on trial at the Central Criminal Court – better known as the Old Bailey – in London although he was again absent from the dock yesterday (Wednesday 5 December).

Bishop was tried for the murders and acquitted at Lewes Crown Court in 1987 but the verdict was quoshed after advances in DNA science brought new evidence to light.

His barrister at the Old Bailey, Joel Bennathan, criticised the prosecutor Brian Altman for baiting Bishop over his 1990 conviction for kidnapping a seven-year-old girl from Whitehawk, sexually assaulting her and trying to murder her.

Mr Bennathan said: “They are awful offences – and anyone coming to this who did not have the benefit of (the trial judge’s) directions would probably think that you don’t come back from that.

“You don’t do what happened to that little girl in 1990 and pop up in a trial and expect a fair trial.

“Once you know what happened in 1990, that will do. That’s enough. Don’t worry about the rest. We say no!”

Mr Bennathan compared the prosecution case against Bishop to a bridge consisting of wooden planks, some of which were rotten.

The rotten planks included concerns about contaminated forensic evidence, doubts about a Pinto sweatshirt and suspicions that someone else had killed the girls.

He pointed the finger at Barrie Fellows, the father of one of the murdered girls, Nicky Fellows.

Mr Fellows was visibly and audibly distressed at the back of he court as Mr Bennathan repeated the defence case that there was a missing hour during which Mr Fellows had murdered his own daughter.

The jury had already been reminded that Mr Fellows was not on trial, with Mr Altman telling jurors that the only person accused of the murders was Bishop, formerly of Stephens Road, Hollingdean.

Mr Bennathan told the jury: “You have to look at it all together. You have to be sure.

Some of the planks of the prosecution case were mouldy, Mr Bennathan said, and you might not be sure how safe the “bridge” was.

“Don’t cross the bridge unless you are sure,” he said, “even if the tour guide, Mr Altman, assures you that you can ignore the faulty planks.”

Bishop denies two counts of murder.

The trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Babes in the Wood double murder trial – Jury urged to reject flawed case

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
December 2018
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News