• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

More than one in ten benefit from council-supported organisations

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 22 Jan, 2019 at 12:42PM
A A
0
More than one in ten benefit from council-supported organisations

The Brighton and Hove Food Partnership published the new report

The Brighton and Hove Food Partnership’s surplus food pumpkin rescue was one of the many projects to benefit from council funding

Voluntary and charity organisations have provided support and services for almost 36,000 people in the last year.

The city’s Third Sector Commission originally aimed to help 25,000 people in the first of its three years of programmes funded by Brighton and Hove City Council and the Brighton and Hove Clinical Commissioning Group.

Members of the council’s Neighbourhoods, Inclusion, Communities and Equalities Committee heard how 12.6 per cent of the city’s population had benefited from services.

The commission was a new way to approach giving grants to the community and voluntary sector across the city, they were told.

Green councillor Leo Littman praised the way that the council had protected its third sector spending, with support from all parties.

He said: “There is a challenge in third sector support for vulnerable members of the community.

“Some groups do not fit in with the commission and are supported by the community fund. They are more vulnerable than larger groups.

“We need to make sure the commissioning model continues to place importance on social value.”

Jo Martindale, chief executive of the Hangleton and Knoll Project and communities representative on the committee, told councillors that having three years of funding was a big thing, as one-year was crisis management.

She said: “Three years seems like a long time but we have only just got the money and now we’re about to go into consultation for the next programme.

“I’m just not sure if we couldn’t do with four or five years.”

Labour councillor Julie Cattell described the results as “wonderful” and suggested that Brighton and Hove businesses wanting to support charities could help in practical ways.

She said: “Organisations have to do all sorts of things as well as care work, such as deciding office lay out or communications.

“This is how the business sector can contribute.”

Grants were given to 26 organisations providing services as varied as one-to-one advice, therapeutic support and guidance and information.

Projects benefiting from funding included mental health support for people with Asperger’s, support for families of children with special educational needs and disabilities and providing financial advice and support.

A total of £2.34 million was allocated to the Third Sector Commission and a further £6.27 million was generated by organisations through funding applications.

During the next few months a consultation process is due to be carried out ahead of a report due in the summer.

This will help organisations bid for grants from September 2019 for the 2020-23 period.

Councillors unanimously approved the creation of a new prospectus for the next three-year period.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

More than one in ten benefit from council-supported organisations

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
January 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News