King Alfred developer given Brexit deadline for £230m Hove seafront scheme

The deadline to agree the terms of the King Alfred leisure centre and housing project has been pushed back two months until the day after Brexit. The delay was agreed this afternoon (Thursday 24 January) by a Brighton and Hove City Council committee after a last-minute plea by...
Posted On 24 Jan 2019 at 7:59 pm

Brighton and Hove Albion sign Argentinian midfielder

Brighton and Hove Albion have signed midfielder Alexis Mac Allister from Argentinos Juniors. Albion said: “The 20-year-old has signed a four-and-a-half-year deal and will be loaned back to the Argentinian club for the remainder of the season.” Manager Chris Hughton...
Posted On 24 Jan 2019 at 6:47 pm

Brighton and Hove health chiefs pull plug on surgery move

A new doctors surgery in Brighton has been scrapped after health chiefs said that there was no longer enough demand. Instead the Ardingly Court surgery will remain in its present outdated premises just off St James’s Street rather than move to a specially refurbished...

Whitehawk Hill homes plan scrapped

A scheme to build hundreds of low-cost homes for working families on one site in Brighton has been scrapped. The plans by Homes for Brighton and Hove – the joint venture between Brighton and Hove City Council and the housing association Hyde – had met with protests....

Breaking: King Alfred sign-off delayed by no-deal Brexit fears

The developer behind the latest plans to rebuild the King Alfred Leisure Centre in Hove are asking the council to wait even longer before a formal agreement is signed over fears of a no-deal Brexit. Crest Nicholson was due to finally sign an understanding with Brighton and Hove...
Posted On 24 Jan 2019 at 3:01 pm

Peaceful protester wins 8-year battle to have details removed from extremist database

A 94-year-old Brighton protester has won an eight-year battle to get his details wiped from a police extremist database. John Catt, of Shepherds Croft, Withdean, has been peacefully demonstrating since 1948, but was first placed on the National Domestic Extremism Database after...
Posted On 24 Jan 2019 at 11:38 am

Rubbish complaints more than double

Complaints about rubbish collections have more than doubled in the last year. Brighton and Hove City Council logged 476 complaints in the first three quarters of this financial year, compared with 445 for 2017/18, according to a report that went before the Environment, Transport...

Woman charged with a string of burglaries and thefts from OAPs

A woman has appeared in court charged with a string of burglaries and thefts from elderly victims – including theft from a patient at the Royal Sussex County Hospital. Marie Keane, 50, of no fixed address, is also accused of breaking into sheltered housing in Hove on two...
Posted On 24 Jan 2019 at 10:24 am

Brighton road layout changes granted £6m funding

A controversial road layout project in the centre of Brighton has been granted £6 million, with a view to most of the work being carried out next year. The money will go towards the £8 million cost of phase 3 of the Valley Gardens scheme to fund changes in the Old Steine area,...
Posted On 24 Jan 2019 at 9:34 am

Disabled driver’s car more likely to be towed than the car parked in his bay

A disabled driver’s car is more likely to be towed away than the car parked in the bay outside his home even though it doesn’t have a blue badge. The prospect emerged as a senior council official answered a question from a Brighton councillor on the disabled man’s behalf. With no...
Posted On 24 Jan 2019 at 12:05 am