• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Rubbish complaints more than double

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 24 Jan, 2019 at 10:30AM
A A
0
Hundreds sign petition complaining about rubbish and recycling collections in Brighton and Hove

Rubbish overflowing at the Regency Court bin store in June 2018

Rubbish overflowing at the Regency Court bin store in June 2018

Complaints about rubbish collections have more than doubled in the last year.

Brighton and Hove City Council logged 476 complaints in the first three quarters of this financial year, compared with 445 for 2017/18, according to a report that went before the Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee.

Speaking at the committee meeting on Tuesday, 22 January, Green Councillor Leo Littman calculated that projected complaints as increasing by 116 per cent in two years.

He said: “This is a very worrying increase. Do we have any drilled down, mined data about why there is such a huge increase in complaints?”

Referring to his Preston Park ward, he added: “Collection rates across the city were not brilliant over the Christmas period.

“I know my ward had a lot of areas that were not collected for a long time.”

In response he was told most complaints were related to missed collections and the modernisation should improve the process.

Officers confirmed the number of complaints had reduced from July last year compared to April to June.

Councillor Littman also asked what was being done ahead of summer, citing the need for visitors to “not bring rubbish with them or take it home”.

In response, assistant director city environment Rachel Chasseaud said she had been at the beach earlier that day to discuss the need for more bins and extra litter pickers during the summer months.

She added the environment team was working closely with events staff, particularly Brighton Pride, in an effort to deal with rubbish generated by significant numbers of visitors.

Conservative Councillor Lee Wares has received numerous complaints from people living in his Patcham ward.

He said: “We have come from a pretty bad place but progress is being made.”

Councillor Wares was particularly concerned about changes to the way recycling is collected from flats and homes on the hills around Hollingbury.

Refuse collectors have collected up recycling in black bags, which the council provided alongside the recycling bins, and these have caused contamination issues once they reach the depot.

The team collecting recycling in black bags have been told to stop as there were too many for Veolia staff to process and it was sent for incineration.

Councillor Wares said: “The practice occurred because of the topography. What we don’t want to change is missing out on collections.

“It will have a significant impact on the way the round is managed.”

He urged for better communication between workers on the rounds and the call centre dealing with customers.

Councillor Joe Miller raised issues of Saltdean Oval and Sussex Square had issues with lack of collection during the Christmas period.

He asked for more bins and pointed out people generate more cardboard from gifts over the Christmas period.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Rubbish complaints more than double

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
January 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News