• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove health chiefs pull plug on surgery move

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 24 Jan, 2019 at 6:08PM
A A
0
Brighton and Hove health chiefs given ‘inadequate’ grading by NHS

A new doctors surgery in Brighton has been scrapped after health chiefs said that there was no longer enough demand.

Instead the Ardingly Court surgery will remain in its present outdated premises just off St James’s Street rather than move to a specially refurbished building on the corner of Old Steine and Palace Place.

It had been due to move in September, with more than 600 flats and student homes being built near by in Circus Street.

A further 168 flats are being built near the Old Steine end of Edward Street, in Mighell Street, on the site of the old American Express building and next to the company’s new offices.

The change of heart by health chiefs was announced by Brighton and Hove City Council leader Daniel Yates at a meeting at Hove Town Hall this afternoon (Thursday 24 January).

It comes after the council is believed to have spent several hundred thousand pounds on premises from which a charity – Team Domenica – was forced to move last year.

The council is expected to seek to recoup its costs from the Brighton and Hove Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) with which it had a legal agreement.

Councillor Yates told the council’s Policy, Resources and Growth Committee: “At the request of the Brighton and Hove CCG, the council and health partners have been working together over the past three years on the provision of a new health facility at the vacant council building at 62-63 Old Steine and 3 Palace Place for the relocation of the Ardingly Court surgery.

“The GP practice and the CCG obtained grant funding from NHS England’s Estates, Technology and Transformation Fund (ETTF) as this practice was identified as the highest priority for the city and most in need of investment due to its growing practice size list, additional pressures arising from new housing and practice closures and sub-standard accommodation with no opportunity to expand in its existing location.

“We have been working with the practice and the CCG on these proposals that were agreed by (the Policy, Resources and Growth Committee) in July 2017 and continuing to progress the project overcoming challenges and ensuring that we met the grant funding timings.

“The council received a final commitment to sign the lease by SCFT (Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust) in December 2018.

“Unfortunately, on (Tuesday) 8 January 2019 the CCG met with council officers to inform us that they and SCFT were withdrawing from the project for three reasons

  • Patient demand in this central cluster has changed in the last three months
  • Business model of the GP practice does not work
  • SCFT’s requirement for space has changed and they no longer require any additional capacity in the building

“Following this withdrawal from the project, meetings have been held between the chief executive and health partners and it was agreed that the council would send the CCG a breakdown of the costs incurred along with a timeline showing the key stages and milestones which has been done.

“The council continues to work with the CCG and health partners on other projects in the city to deliver a health hub at Preston Barracks and the disposal of Oxford Street car park to provide the combined St Peter’s and North Laine surgery.

“I have asked that officers bring a report to a future committee providing a further update on this as well options for the future of the council building.”

In a statement, Councillor Karen Barford, who chairs the council’s Health and Wellbeing Board, said: “Since 2016 the council and its health partners have been working with the CCG to progress plans for a new GPs surgery at 62-63 Old Steine and 3 Palace Place for the relocation of Ardingly Court surgery.

“The GP practice and the CCG obtained grant funding from NHS England as the practice was identified as the highest priority for the city and most in need of investment.

“The CCG has now decided to withdraw from the project which is incredibly disappointing for everyone who has worked to progress this scheme and to the all the stakeholders involved, not least the people living in the area, but ultimately this is a decision which is the CCG’s to make.

“The CCG must have evidence-based reasons for this change of direction at such a late stage and I’m sure they would have not have reached this decision lightly.”

Outside the meeting, Brighton and Hove CCG said: “We are committed to improve local people’s access to GP services.

“The need for extra GP capacity the Palace Place proposal offered has diminished since the plans were first developed.

“A number of neighbouring practices have sought to increase their registered patient list sizes and now have made more appointments available at weekends and evenings, making it easier for people to register and see a local GP.

“If the surgery now moves to Palace Place, as originally planned over two years ago, then the practice risks being unable to recruit enough patients for it to remain a financially sustainable practice.

“We are continuing to work closely with Ardingly Court Surgery to improve their premises and to support the development of plans for the practice team to continue to provide high-quality care for their patients.”

The CCG added: “Every effort is made to support the GPs in the city so that they can provide services for local people, as they face the same pressures that are being reported from around England.

“These support measures include financial and educational support to help them run their surgeries more effectively and efficiently to free up doctors to provide more care for patients.

“One surgery we helped saved the equivalent of seven weeks of consultation time per year through a change in repeat prescription process we identified.

“A key area of our plans to improve health and social care across the city is to make sure general practice is more sustainable, more resilient and works efficiently and effectively for many years ahead.

“This will include integrating some services, with other clinical specialists like pharmacists better supporting GPs, and helping GPs work more collaboratively together.

“There are also a number of specific schemes such as a GP retention package as well as oversees recruitment that the CCG is implementing as part of its workforce strategy.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton and Hove health chiefs pull plug on surgery move

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
January 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News