Residents are being warned to close their windows as a fire rips through flats in Brighton this evening.
A taxi driver took this shocking footage of the building alight on Pankhurst Avenue tonight.
— Brighton Cabbie (@BrightonCabbie) September 20, 2019
Ten fire engines are currently on the scene. The block has been evacuated and firefighters are searching the building, but it’s not yet known if all everyone is accounted for.
A spokeswoman for East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “We are currently on scene to a fire in a residential property on Pankhurst Avenue, Brighton. Firefighters from Brighton, Hove, Roedean, Lewes and Barcombe are on scene.
“We are advising all nearby residents to close windows and doors as a precaution.”
At midnight, Sussex Police said they were not looking for anyone who was not already accounted for.
If anyone can help the residents, donate here.
Power to the surrounding flats was cut at about 10.40pm as firefighters continued to tackle the blaze.
At 11pm, local sources said everyone had been accounted for, but the fire service was unable to confirm this.
A spokesman for UK Power Networks said: “UK Power Networks engineers were called to Pankhurst Avenue at about 10pm this evening following a fire.
“We have had to temporarily turn power off to around 160 customers so crews can work in safety.
“We apologise for the inconvenience this is causing but can reassure customers that we will turn their power back on as soon as possible.”
We are still tackling a large fire at a residential block of flats on Pankhurst Road, Brighton. We now have ten appliances in attendance. We are advising all nearby residents to close windows and doors. pic.twitter.com/9ZJVJHov5Y
— East Sussex FRS (@EastSussexFRS) September 20, 2019
— Oliver Button (@OBDroning) September 20, 2019
The blaze can be seen across central and eastern Brighton, from Presonville to Kemp Town.