• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Emergency housing in Brighton and Hove to be made more welcoming for poorest tenants

by Frank le Duc
Monday 18 Nov, 2019 at 6:40PM
A A
3
Student housing issues raised at Brighton meeting

Homeless people given emergency housing in Brighton and Hove look likely to be offered better properties and facilities.

The move follows a row between councillors about the trade-off between quality and cost at a time when the housing budget is expected to be £1.1 million overspent.

If the proposals are ratified, tenants will have free wifi, basic kitchen equipment such as kettles, crockery, and cutlery and access to a washing machine and tumble dryer.

Brighton and Hove City Council will pick the bill for service charges such as the utilities in communal areas and their upkeep as well incentivise fewer evictions and review the number of room inspections.

And caretakers could be given enhanced training to help them provide better support for vulnerable tenants on top of their traditional responsibilities.

Labour councillor Nikkie Brennan and Green councillor Amy Heley have been pushing for the changes which are expected to add £300,000 to the budget for short-term and emergency housing.

But at a meeting of the council’s Housing Committee, Conservative councillor Mary Mears, a former leader of the council, accused Labour and the Greens of stitching up a deal before any debate had been allowed.

The changes will be phased in as existing contracts come to an end and new contracts are agreed with property owners.

Councillor Brennan, deputy chair of the council’s Housing Committee, told the meeting at Hove Town Hall that she had listened to people in emergency and temporary accommodation and understood what they needed.

She said that the proposals were about social value and people’s life experience which were more important than money.

And she added: “If we have to take it in-house to make sure it runs more smoothly and we have to spend a little bit more money on it, we should be applauded not judged because we are spending money on human beings and their experience of life.”

Officials are also looking at using a “dynamic purchasing system” to save money. It would rely on the council calling on providers from an approved list as and when needed.

This would involve shifting from the existing medium to long-term contracts with a few big providers such as Baron Homes and Helgor Trading.

But Councillor Mears said that when the council switched to a dynamic purchasing system for home to school transport, the move was beset by problems.

She said: “I don’t support the dynamic purchasing system at this time because of the debacle around home to school transport using this type of contract.

“I have a nervousness around these systems and would prefer to see something in this council to show that this contract under this structure has worked. I have no confidence in this type of contract whatsoever.”

Crucially, the council expects to be able to rent premises from many more providers than it was able to find in the transport sector, enabling it to keep better control of costs.

The council’s head of temporary accommodation Sylvia Peckham said that the dynamic purchasing system was already working better than the fixed contracts that had previously been agreed by her team.

Thirty “units” were already available and the council was looking to buy more although it aimed to cut the number of people in bed and breakfast (B&B) type housing down from about 420 to under 150 over the next few years.

The proposals are due to go before the council’s Policy and Resources Committee at its next meeting at Hove Town Hall on Thursday 5 December.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Hovelassies says:
    6 years ago

    “trade-off between quality and cost”… nonsense. Quality is irrelevant and BHCC pays eye watering rates without any contracts, conditions or questions whatsoever. BHCC spends millions of taxpayers’ pounds on revolting, tired, shabby, soiled, stained, shipped, slum, emergency accommodation in privately run HMOs. No requirement to meet Decent Homes Standards, no contracts, no regular inspections, BHCC brazenly turns a blind eye to transgressions from HMO licences and unlawful renovations. Readily pays >4X the going rate (LHA rate) for accommodation that does not pass the “smell test” and which no-one would live in themselves or consider value for money to the taxpayer. Further, BHCC Adult Social Care dumps seriously ill and vulnerable people in such slums on the pretence of fulfilling their accommodation and care commitments, whilst having informal “supervision” arrangements with the slum landlords. It is a huge racket and must be investigated.

    Reply
  2. csomm says:
    6 years ago

    The police corruption investigations into the Council housing department around the emergency housing scandal & private landlords are ongoing apparently.

    Reply
  3. Valerie says:
    6 years ago

    Apparently….

    Indeed….

    Public Questions need to go in for Housing, Full Council on this!

    Reply

Leave a Reply to csomm Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Emergency housing in Brighton and Hove to be made more welcoming for poorest tenants

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

School building to become temporary charity hub

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

22 February 2026
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
November 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News