• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Fatal police crash was ‘tragic accident’, court hears as case dropped

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 5 Aug, 2024 at 1:32PM
A A
6
Officer accused of causing death of man hit by police car appears in court

Arthur Hölscher-Ermert

The family of a young man hit and killed by a police patrol car have expressed their “shock” and “disappointment” after charges against the officer involved were dropped at the 11th hour.

PC Christopher Corker, 40, had been due to face trial at the Old Bailey today for causing the death of Arthur Holscher-Ermert by dangerous driving in Peacehaven.

It was alleged PC Corker deliberately steered on the wrong side of the road towards the 27-year-old pedestrian in a “misguided and dangerous attempt to stop him running away”.

The case was based on graphic video footage from the police car and a passing motorist which showed the incident just after 11.10pm on Saturday 30 April 2022.

But today, the court was told that two expert reports had since agreed that PC Corker’s manoeuvre would have avoided a collision had the victim not also changed direction.

Prosecutor Jonathan Sandiford offered no evidence and PC Corker was formally cleared of two charges – of causing death by dangerous driving and careless driving.

Judge Richard Marks offered his condolences to the family in court, saying: “It appears to have been a tragic accident.”

As PC Corker, from Worthing, left court, one of those present told him: “You are still responsible for killing Arthur. Never forget his name. Never. Dirty bastard.”

In a statement after the hearing, the family said: “Instead of attending trial today, we as a family have had to process the sudden news that the CPS are discontinuing criminal proceedings against PC Corker.

“This is incredibly upsetting and disappointing. It has been over two years since Arthur died.

“We were hoping to start to get answers about what happened to Arthur and why on Saturday 30 April 2022.

“We are shocked to now find out that PC Corker isn’t going to be held criminally accountable for what he has done.

“Our fight for the truth and accountability goes on. We now look ahead towards Arthur’s inquest.”

Earlier, Mr Sandiford had explained the decision by the Crown Prosecution Service to drop the charges as he addressed the court.

He said: “The Crown’s case against this defendant was that the collision was caused by him deliberately steering his vehicle on the wrong side of the road towards the deceased.”

It had been alleged the manoeuvre was a “misguided and dangerous attempt to stop the deceased from running away”, he said.

Following the crash, the defendant had given a prepared statement but no explanation for what happened, the court was told.

The two experts had since concluded that PC Corker’s actions would have avoided a collision had the victim not also changed course.

Mr Sandiford said: “It would appear he may had the same intention as the officer in the sense he was changing direction to try to run behind the police vehicle and ran in front of it.

“Unfortunately, because the officer had already reacted there was a collision.”

He said the officer then “braked heavily and the vehicle came to a stop”.

Mr Sandiford said: “The deceased tried to stop and appears to have stumbled into the front of the officer’s vehicle.”

In effect, the experts agreed the officer’s manoeuvre – steering to the right and onto the wrong side of the road – “would have avoided a collision had the deceased continued on his path,” the prosecutor said.

PC Corker, who sat beside his legal team in court, left without commenting.

Previously, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) had referred a file of evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to consider charges against two Sussex Police officers relating to Mr Holscher-Ermert’s death.

Today, the IOPC said: “We’ve been advised by the CPS that, after considering further evidence received, it decided to offer no evidence at the trial for PC Corker, resulting in the judge recording a not guilty verdict today.

“We will now consider how this further evidence impacts our decision that two officers should face gross misconduct hearings for potential breaches of the police standards of professional behaviour, following our investigation which concluded in April 2023.

“We will liaise with the force about this in due course and will ensure that Arthur Holscher-Ermert’s family are kept updated.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. AL says:
    2 years ago

    ACAB

    Reply
    • Charles+U+Farley says:
      2 years ago

      …until you need them, moron.

      Reply
    • Stan Reid says:
      2 years ago

      Not all but some really need guidance.

      Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      2 years ago

      The one who protected me from an intoxicated individual, and who took a knife for me, during my medical duties, is certainly not.

      ACAB is a mantra spewed mainly by bad actors.

      Reply
  2. What the Fark says:
    2 years ago

    You have to ask the question, why was Arthur Holscher-Ermert running from the coppers? Why were they pursuing him in the first place? What had he been up to? Tragic he got squashed but the moral is , don’t run.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      2 years ago

      Indeed. It is, of course, sad that an individual has died because of this incident. One is right to question the wisdom of running away and attempting to dodge a police car.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

1,500 homes without water

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Fatal police crash was ‘tragic accident’, court hears as case dropped

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
‘Love Supreme Jazz Festival’ announces full 2026 line-up

‘Love Supreme Jazz Festival’ announces full 2026 line-up

20 May 2026
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Olly Alexander, Goodbye To Berlin, Charleston Festival, Monday 25th May 2026

Olly Alexander Explore Christopher Isherwood

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
August 2024
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News