• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Campaign group welcomes school admissions changes for Whitehawk children

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Wednesday 19 Feb, 2025 at 10:48PM
A A
2
Catchment change boost for Whitehawk on the cards

Proposed catchment changes would give more children from Whitehawk a chance to go to Dorothy Stringer or Varndean rather than Longhill

Campaign group Class Divide has welcomed Brighton and Hove City Council’s proposals to change the rules for secondary school admissions.

The group, which originally formed to tackle inequality in education, initially for children from Whitehawk, Manor Farm and the Bristol Estate, wants to see children from lower-income backgrounds given priority for secondary school places.

Youngsters from the estates have had to travel out of their community to secondary school since the closure of East Brighton College of Media Arts, known as Comart, in 2005.

Many of those who would have gone to Comart, previously Marina High and before that Stanley Deason, in Wilson Avenue, instead are given places at their lone catchment school – Longhill, in Rottingdean.

Today (Wednesday 19 February) Brighton and Hove City Council said that members would vote next week on moving most of Whitehawk and Manor Farm into the Dorothy Stringer and Varndean School catchment. Children in Kemp Town would move into the Longhill catchment.

Class Divide had wanted 30 per cent of school places in dual catchment areas, such as Dorothy Stringer and Varndean, offered to pupils living in the Longhill and BACA single-school catchments.

But council leaders have settled on offering 5 per cent of places at Stringer and Varndean to pupils who would otherwise have the option of just one school.

The group was also pleased with the “ground-breaking move” to give a higher priority to up to 30 per cent of pupils receiving free school meals when allocating secondary places.

Class Divide co-founder Curtis James said: “If approved, Brighton and Hove will become the first city in England to take such decisive action on educational inequality.

“We understand the intense pressure the council has faced to maintain the status quo and welcome their commitment to keep open admissions in the package.

“The proposed 5 per cent rate means families in areas like Bevendean and Moulsecoomb would still have very limited chances of accessing schools beyond their immediate neighbourhood.

“We had advocated for 30 per cent open admissions to create genuinely mixed schools that benefit everyone and will continue our campaign to increase this percentage.”

A special council meeting is due to take place at Hove Town Hall at 3pm on Thursday 27 February to vote on the proposals. The meeting is scheduled to be webcast on the council’s website.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Betty says:
    1 year ago

    I’m all up for Children in the Whitehawk Area been given a chance at getting others Schools-but why is it all done to those who get Free School meals.
    I live on the Estate ( both my Boys went to Longhill obviously wanted Stringer/Varndean-out of Area)
    We pay everything, full rent, Full Council Tax, School Dinners ( at the time) all the general household bill like everyone else does, yet cos of where we live the Catchment area was Longhill so we’re out of the Area but that was the only School we were basically offered, I tried to Appeal and couldn’t get it.
    Dorothy Stringer is 3.7 miles
    Longhill 3.9 Miles
    Baca 4.3 Miles
    Hove Park ( Valley Camp Lower) 5.6 Miles
    Varndean 4.1 Miles
    Blatchington Mill 4.6 Miles
    I don’t understand how they work it all out, they say they go by Postcode but I reckon that’s why a lot Lie to get them into the popular schools-there is no way they check Child to Address with anything like Child Benefit, they just go what’s on School Application at the time.
    And a lot of Parents will be moaning if some get The popular schools and others don’t.
    Be intresting to see what happens I guess with it all.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      1 year ago

      Free school meals are used as a measure of poverty. Poverty creates disadvantages to young students. Targeting those on free school meals helps to balance those disadvantages. It’s a reasonable logic.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

New bus route to start next month

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Campaign group welcomes school admissions changes for Whitehawk children

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Bound By The Wind, Rotunda Bubble, May 24-25th 2026

Bound By The Wind Brings The Story of Mulan

21 May 2026
Godz, Head First Acrobats, Brighton Fringe, May 2026

Godz Of Brighton Fringe

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
February 2025
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
2425262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News