• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 18 May, 2026 at 3:28PM
A A
1
Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

A shop which has lain empty for more than five years is set to get a facelift to try and attract a new tenant.

Since Argos closed in 2020, most of 154-167 Western Road has been unoccupied – apart from the eastern wing which is home to McDonald’s.

Now, owners Moretons Investments – which owns Imperial Arcade – is asking permission to tweak the frontage, installing three more double doors.

No internal alterations are currently proposed – but the extra doors would allow the unit to be subdivided more easily.

The application, written by planning consultants Stickland Wright, says the 1920s building was built when Western Road was aspiring to be “Oxford Street by the Sea”.

It says: “A new shopfront design is required to attract a new tenant at 157 to 162 Western Road.

“The new shopfront proposals reinstate the original lines and proportions of what would probably have been the original shopfront from the 1920’s and removes the large, deep Argos fascia board.

“This is a good opportunity to provide a shopfront design more in keeping with the existing building whilst at the sametime enhancing the streetscape.

“The proposed shopfront design supports the vision of restoring the building to its original use and preventing it from disrepair.”

The application says Moretons asked for pre-application advice last year for a more comprehensive scheme which included changing the use of the first and second floors to residential, to house 20 flats.

It also asked to change the permitted use of the ground floor to include food outlets or a gym as well as retail.

In response, the council’s planning officers recommended a more attractive storefront should be reinstated.

The building was originally built for Boots. It has been altered inside over the years to such a degree nothing remains of the original interior.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Tracy Ward says:
    16 mins ago

    Rather strangely Argos did a complete new fit-out of this shop area less than 12 months before closing down.
    Locals would rather they had saved the money, and potentially saved the store. It worked perfectly well just the way it was and it remains a tremendous loss of one of the most useful stores in the centre of Brighton.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Labour picks candidate for Goldsmid by-election

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Woman admits pulling fellow mum’s braids out and smashing glasses during school run attack

New Greggs update: A27 traffic chaos to end within 24 hours, says MP

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

18 May 2026
Biscuit Barrel, Brighton Fringe, Komedia Studio, 10th & 17th May 2026

A Biscuit Barrel Full Of Energy

18 May 2026
credit - Claire Gaby

Tonight – Bert and Nasi

17 May 2026

MEAT – preview

17 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex chase impressive first innings total at Somerset

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
16 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 22-1 (5.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (4 points) by 504 runs Centuries...

Load More
May 2026
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Apr    

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News