• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

i360 report leads to heated exchanges

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Thursday 25 Jun, 2026 at 12:01AM
A A
24
Council books further £2.5m loss on Brighton i360 debt

Brighton i360

A “lessons learnt” report about Brighton and Hove City Council’s decision to broker a £36 million loan for the i360 will go before councillors for debate in September.

Labour councillor Josh Guilmant described the delay in bringing the report before the Audit, Standards and General Purposes Committee as “shameful” at a meeting of the committee on Tuesday (23 June).

He told members that given the scale of the financial impact of the loan and the level of public interest, the report needed to be discussed openly.

Councillor Guilmant said: “This feels exactly the sort of matter we should be examining transparently here so residents can see what lessons have been identified and what changes can be made as a result.

“For this committee not to debate the CIPFA (Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy) report in public would be shameful.”

Councillor West, who chairs the committee, said that “shameful” was a strong word but, after taking advice, accepted the report for the September agenda.

He said: “My disappointment is that the report was published prematurely. It wasn’t completed because I think it’s important that this committee considers completed, honest and open proper documents and not those that are not up to our standards.”

The independent report from CIPFA had been expected to go before the committee in April, but Councillor West rejected it as “incomplete”.

Before the April meeting, he said that he had raised his concerns about “thoroughness and accuracy” with the CIPFA author at the “draft” stage.

One of his concerns was that the report was written without contacting those involved in the original decision to broker the £36 million loan from the Public Works Loan Board to the i360 developer Marks Barfield.

The council has never owned the seafront tourist attraction but brokered the loan as part of a wider effort to revive the seafront near the West Pier and strengthen the A259 seafront road.

The i360 ceased trading in December 2024 when the company that owned the seafront tower filed for administration, leaving more than 100 people jobless just before Christmas.

The total debt owed to the council by the i360 had gone up to £51 million, including interest, by the time the company went bust.

The council wrote off the outstanding amount early last year and is repaying the Public Works Loan Board about £2.2 million a year until 2041.

The write-off enabled the administrators, from Interpath Limited, to sell the business to leisure operator Nightcap for £150,000. No buyer would take on the business with the debt still owing.

The CIPFA report said that the council agreed the loan at a time when councils were being encouraged to “think commercially” and borrow at low interest rates from the Public Works Loan Board.

The report said that the council was sold “over-ambitious” projections of visitor numbers, revenues and profits.

The council kept the business case secret from the public when it decided to approve the £36 million loan to Marks Barfield, citing commercial confidentiality.

The secrecy was criticised at the time as a figleaf to cover up the figures behind a bad decision – and it has been the subject of considerable criticism since then for the same reason.

When the terms of the loan were agreed in 2014, the minority Green administration voted through the proposals with support from some though not all of the opposition Conservative group.

But the Labour group – the smallest party at the time – voted against the loan.

In May last year, Nightcap said that it would honour the condition attached to the i360’s planning permission that 1 per cent of ticket sales should be paid to the council.

The new owner has focused its efforts on making the i360 a welcoming destination, with trips up the 531ft (162m) viewing tower still a part of the attraction but not so central to the business plan.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 24

  1. Rostrum says:
    2 months ago

    No doubt it’ll keep getting delayed untill they find a way to bury it…
    I also hope copy makes its way to the Police!

    Reply
    • Tracy Ward says:
      2 months ago

      Me too, Rostrum.

      Reply
      • Nick says:
        2 months ago

        You can make numbers on a spreadsheet say whatever you want. Councillors and Brighton council staff, most with no private sector commercial experience, believed an overly optimistic business case.

        Those evaluating the business case and making the decision to gamble taxpayers money on it, our money on it, didn’t need business skills to see the issue. All they needed to realise was that private sector investors had decided not to put their own money into this. That tells you all you need to know.

        Reply
        • Delusional says:
          2 months ago

          Point well made

          Reply
    • Mrs Gillian Siddle says:
      2 months ago

      Yes, no doubt they’ll try 🤦‍♀️ We now need full transparency on the £65m proposal for the King Alfred which seems a ridiculous amount for a reduced capacity, ugly, ill planned, container ship designed monstrosity!

      Reply
    • Nik says:
      2 months ago

      Absolutely,years of corrupt employees gambling with tax payers money.
      Watching that being built we all could see it would flop and what an eye sore.

      Reply
  2. Tentspotter says:
    2 months ago

    This is why a borrow on this scale should be supported by a referendum to give local taxpayers a chance to have their say. This is essential, since it is the local taxpayers who will pick up the tab via increased rates.
    That is the most important lesson to be learned.
    We must have a new law on this so local people can voice their thoughts, much like the Swiss system.

    Reply
  3. Frazer Streames says:
    2 months ago

    And some people think the Greens should be in charge of the country. No doubt Kitcat will use the expertise from his training course to guide them.

    Reply
  4. Stan Reid says:
    2 months ago

    Government,,, Nothing works and no-one cares and when something does work no-one knows why.

    Reply
  5. Tracy Ward says:
    2 months ago

    Can anyone request a £36m loan from the PWLB to build a private attraction on a publicly-owned seafront with no viable business plan or just Marks Barfield? Is Julie Barfield liable to pay back a penny of the debt, or just we residents who never asked or voted for the i360?
    What lessons have been learned and how can BH council demonstrate they have actually learned them?
    This is particularly pertinent since BH Council have recently showcased “ambitious” plans to redevelop our entire Brighton and Hove seafront via their unelected Seafront Development Board, who were originally supposed to be for advisory purposes only, but seem to have taken it upon themselves to commission an entire “masterplan” of what they think should happen on our seafront and seem set on trying to make this a reality, over and above what we were told their remit was.

    Reply
  6. Nick says:
    2 months ago

    You can make numbers on a spreadsheet say whatever you want. Councillors and Brighton council staff, most with no private sector commercial experience, believed an overly optimistic business case.

    Those evaluating the business case and making the decision to gamble taxpayers money on it, our money on it, didn’t need business skills to see the issue. All they needed to realise was that private sector investors had decided not to put their own money into this. That tells you all you need to know.

    Reply
  7. Peter says:
    2 months ago

    How they sneered.. ridiculed every point we made.
    “You’re just being negative”, they said. “Moaners”, they called us.
    “Do you really think people far more qualified than you haven’t already looked into this?” they smugly informed us. The loudest defenders weren’t those with a vested interest, but those gullible enough to mistake PR for truth.

    Reply
    • Tracy Ward says:
      2 months ago

      History is about to repeat itself with the King Alfred debacle-in-waiting and £11m already frittered away on gaffe-packed plans from architects who don’t seem to have a clue where the King Alfred is, let alone have visited it to at least get the road names right, so what lessons have been learned? Green or Red, we appear to see the same contempt for other peoples’ money and allergy to financial due diligence. Not a matter of choice, but a legal obligation. At least the interim Chief Financial Officer John Hooton has gone, under whose rein the King Alfred redevelopment jumped from £47m – £65m. Let’s hope new 151 Officer, Elizabeth Griffiths, can investigate and restore some much needed sanity to the spending and borrowing spree.

      Reply
      • Benjamin™ says:
        2 months ago

        The £11m you’re referring to was always planned to be spent.

        Reply
    • Delusional says:
      2 months ago

      Spot on

      Reply
  8. Jane W says:
    2 months ago

    Wonder what Pete West wants to hide?

    Reply
  9. Simon says:
    2 months ago

    And have the guilty councillors admitted their crime and ben punished? Of course not. . Can trust any of the thieving b**tards

    Reply
  10. mike hurley says:
    2 months ago

    If councils could think like businessman they wouldn’t be waiting 40 years to get their council pension. They would be running successful companies. Who the hell keeps thinking they can create wealth. They are given millions to waste every year and do a great job! They should all be on price work and watch them have to work then. Useless people justifying their jobs every day. The whole of the private sector think they are a joke!

    Reply
    • Gareth Hall says:
      2 months ago

      Councillors don’t get pensions they get an allowance for being a councillor about £16000 a year that’s all

      Reply
  11. Peter Martin says:
    2 months ago

    When I was chairman of Shoreham Airport’s committee, it was made clear to me that we could only obtain PWLB money to finance improvements because we were council owned. The board could not make loans to private enterprise.
    The real question is: what sort of creative accounting went on to enable the council to loan PWLB money to a private enterprise?

    Reply
  12. Stan Reid says:
    2 months ago

    Councillors are at the low end when it comes being held accountable for all their input, most have zero qualifications and are propped in there via party policy and held accountable for nothing no matter how much financial damage they vote for

    Reply
    • Benjamin™ says:
      2 months ago

      It’s why having skilled council officers is so important. It would be unreasonable to think a ward councillor would know absolutely everything on every subject.

      Reply
      • Charlie Herbert says:
        2 months ago

        ‘skilled council officers’?
        Rarer than a hen’s tooth in BHCC.
        They are hopeless -particularly in the Transport dept

        Reply
        • Benjamin™ says:
          2 months ago

          I’ve dealt with quite a few knowledge officers over the years. I find a constructive dialogue is a good place to start. Very easy to go on the offensive.

          Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

i360 report leads to heated exchanges

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
June 2026
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News