• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Thug who bottled Korean student re-sentenced

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 30 Jan, 2020 at 10:22AM
A A
2
Teen thug jailed over shocking attack on Korean student


A teenage thug has been re-sentenced after a member of the public complained that he got off too lightly – but only because this led to the discovery that he’d been sentenced too harshly.

Bradley Garrett, 18, bottled Korean student Yehsung Kim while his friend Louis Barrett hurled racist abuse at him in October 2017.

He was finally sentenced by Judge Stephen Mooney on 22 October last year – just three days after he turned 18.

He was then given a two-year sentence suspended for two years while Barrett, 19, was jailed for 21 months.

Garrett’s sentence was first revoked in December last year when it emerged that he was awaiting trial for an unrelated offence. Those charges have since been dismissed.

In the meantime, the member of the public complained to the Attorney General’s office and, while reviewing the case, officials found that Garrett had been sentenced as an adult.

Sentencing guidelines state that a defendant must be sentenced on the basis of how old they were when they were convicted.

Garrett was only 17 on Friday 16 August last year when he pleaded guilty to the attack.

At at Lewes Crown Court on Tuesday (28 January), Judge Mooney said that he “apologised profusely” for his mistake and he took some time drafting a new sentence, with input both from counsel for the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) Piers Reed and Sarah Taite for Garrett.

Judge Mooney said: “This has resulted from a potential reference to the Attorney General. The Court of Appeal isn’t going to be terribly impressed.”

He added: “This is triple jeopardy – this is in effect the second time the sentence has been reviewed and the third time he has faced the loss of liberty.

“I’m not going to deprive this young man of his liberty at this stage.”

Miss Taite said that although Garrett had not carried out any of the unpaid work or rehab days required by his sentence, because it had been put on hold, he was co-operating with probation.

She said: “Broadly he has been meeting with probation weekly. He’s built up a very good relationship with his probation officer.

“There’s no issue of compliance at all.

“He’s doing some casual labour work part time and probation are helping him to look at college classes.”

After some discussion, Garrett was given a new sentence which closely matched his revoked adult one.

He was given a three-year youth rehabilitation order with intensive supervision, 160 hours of unpaid work over three years, a two month curfew between 9pm and 6am and an exclusion order, banning him from Brighton and Hove for three months.

The anonymous member of the public referred both Garrett and Barrett’s sentences to the Attorney General under the unduly lenient sentence scheme.

Mr Reed told Lewes Crown Court that a decision had yet to be made as to the merits of that referral.

If it is put before the Attorney General and he agrees that the sentence was too lenient, it will then be referred to the Court of Appeal.

Most referrals from members of the public do not make it this far.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. bradly says:
    6 years ago

    what words were used and what tones of voice were used to generate such a real 21 month prison sentence with no actual violence on one person whereas the “bottling” generated just a suspended sentence for the other person?

    Reply
  2. peter reubens says:
    6 years ago

    disgraceful justice system – their soft sentencing aggravates the offence even further for the victims – and what message does it send out to other potential offenders

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

School building to become temporary charity hub

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Thug who bottled Korean student re-sentenced

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Drinks licence granted for site just south of St Peter’s Church

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
January 2020
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News