• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Teachers at schools set for closure vote to strike

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 19 Jan, 2024 at 5:05PM
A A
5
Thousands sign petitions to save two schools from closure

St Bartholomew's Church of England Primary School in Brighton

Teachers at two schools slated for closure have voted to go on strike over job losses.

Every teacher who belongs to the National Education Union at St Bartholomew’s School in Brighton voted yes, and 90% of teachers at St Peter’s Community School in Portslade – with the other 10% not voting.

The teachers will als be joined by parents and supporters outside Hove Town Hall between 3pm-4pm on Monday as members of Brighton and Hove City Counci’s Children, Families and School’s Committee meets.

The committee is due to decide whether to begin a statutory consultation on the closure of the two schools. Strike dates will be decided in the coming weeks.

The unionis calling on the Labour administration to stick to its pre-election manifesto promise to ‘keeping schools open’ and withdraw the proposal to close the Schools as well as withdraw proposals to reduce PAN numbers in six other schools in the City.

It has called on the council to look at alternatives to closure and PAN reductions and has accused the administration of shortsightedness.

Nick Childs, NEU senior regional officer said: “These resounding ballot results indicate the depth of feeling at both schools and the sense of betrayal members feel at the way the council have behaved towards there schools.

“The closure of the schools is not necessary. Indeed, it is exceedingly short sighted.

“Pupil admission numbers have been falling in recent years, but these fluctuate over time depending on birth rates and range of other factors.

“Once a school is closed the local authority is not permitted to reopen new schools.

“Labour made a specific commitment to ‘keeping schools open’ in their 2023 manifesto. Once elected they appear to have backtracked on their commitment within months.

“Both schools provide and excellent education to their respective communities and we appeal to the council to listen to teachers, parents and the local communities and withdraw these damaging and unnecessary proposals immediately.”

Cllr Taylor said: “We completely understand why teachers at these two schools are upset about the proposals, and concerned about their jobs.

“As we proceed with the closure process, we will make the council redeployment scheme available to all staff, and will work with other schools in the city to facilitate further redeployment opportunities.

“We want the brilliant staff at these schools to stay within the education system in Brighton and Hove.

“The city faces a very severe problem with falling pupil numbers, and schools that are underfunded by government as a result.

“For Nick Childs to say that we should abandon all these proposals, including the reduction in PANs at 6 schools, seems to imply he has a very poor understanding of the underlying situation.

“Indeed, headteachers from 40 primary schools in the city wrote to me earlier in the year and said: ‘We as head teachers all know that we have many school places in the city that are surplus to current requirements and, due to chronic and continuous underfunding, some good schools are not currently financially viable. When will this issue be properly addressed?’

“It is slightly concerning that NEU staff are being represented by someone who seems to have such a poor grasp of the issue we face in our city schools.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. John Donne says:
    3 years ago

    More Labour lies

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      3 years ago

      It’s definitely not an easy thing this and many people aren’t going to understand the reasoning on a pragmatic level.

      If the number of students significantly decreases, schools find it financially unsustainable to maintain their operations. Low enrollment can lead to inadequate funding, making it challenging to employ an appropriate number of teachers to maintain an acceptable PAN. In such cases, aiming to consolidate resources and ensure a more efficient distribution of students and staff across other institutions is the intelligent thing to do.

      However, I respect how it effects staff and displaces children.

      Reply
  2. Barry Johnson says:
    3 years ago

    All power to them. It is scandalous Labour have broken their promises by targetting schools like this. The birth rate will go up again soon. It has always fluctuated so it is ridiculous to go for the nuclear option rather than smaller classes and more pupil attention.

    Reply
    • Kirsty Farrant says:
      3 years ago

      It’s a budgeting issue that they can’t tighten their purse strings, pay people less and stop wasting money on shit no one asked for. So our children have to suffer. Ridiculous.

      Reply
  3. Chris says:
    3 years ago

    I wonder at what level we should close a school ? Or are people proposing that we keep a school open if there is just one pupil ? Or two ? Or 20 ? Serious question.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Teachers at schools set for closure vote to strike

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
January 2024
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News