• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Blatchington Mill pupils not all back until after half term

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 31 Jan, 2024 at 6:17PM
A A
3
Firefighters tackle blaze at Hove school

Blatchington Mill’s pupils won’t all be able to come back to school until after half term, the school has told parents today.

A fire at the school earlier this month completely destroyed the school’s food and design classrooms, with a large part of the rest of the school damaged by smoke and water.

A 16-year-old girl was detained under the Mental Health Act after being arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life.

The school was closed for two days after the blaze broke out on the evening of Wednesday, 17 January.

Since then, the school has partially reopened, with years ten and eleven being prioritised for in-school teaching but with all years being remotely taught for at least some of the time.

Some parents have been feeling frustrated with the lack of detailed updates, although others say they think the school has been doing a good job in difficult circumstances.

Today, head Kate Claydon sent a detailed breakdown of what damage has been caused and what work needs to be done to get all students back in school full time.

Before the email was sent, one parent said: “Of course this situation is going to be difficult for the school leadership, but the lack of communication is very hard.

“We don’t know when, or even whether, normal schooling will resume.

“We really need to understand how serious the situation is because the lack of communication makes us think the worst and is really stressful for our kids.”

Another said: “I think they’re doing as good a job as they can. They’ve made themselves very approachable around individual concerns.

“It must be a huge strain on them, in addition to trying to run a large school during a national education funding crisis.

“I’d rather they move with caution and absolute attention to detail and take no risks.”

The email said it had now received written reports which highlighted areas which are not structurally safe, including the stairs between the design and food rooms which need to be propped.

It said a significant part of the school east of its east reception was damaged, including the kitchen, canteen, library, design and food teaching areas.

This also means two toilet blocks, the medical room, sports hall and east gym are inaccessible.

The priority is to isolate damaged and dangerous utilities so the rest of the school’s supply of gas, water and elecricity is safe.

Once that’s done, which will hopefully be completed by the end of the half term break, about 24 classrooms and more toilets can be used, meaning all pupils can return full time.

After this, the canteen will be repaired, and then the sports hall and gym and the library.

Finally, the design and food tech classrooms will be repaired.

Ms Claydon told Brighton and Hove News: “We recognise how challenging the situation may be for our families as we navigate the difficulties posed by the damage to our school site.

“Our absolute priority is to get all our students back into school every day. We are working closely with the local authority to make this a reality as soon as possible.

“We want to be transparent with our families and are therefore keeping them updated with daily emails.

“Our Year Teams are also responding to any individual queries or concerns that families have. If any families need further clarification, we encourage them to reach out to us directly.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Kate Hall says:
    2 years ago

    Lack of communication? They have sent multiple emails detailing everything happening. Some people are never satisfied.

    Reply
    • Yas says:
      2 years ago

      I agree with you. Emails going around letting us the exact situation. However, people needs to realise that the school leadership not always have the information otherwise they cant share everything. Me as a parent I satisfy with the level of communication and my duty to support the school leadership and make sure my kid complete his online tasks.

      Reply
  2. Nina says:
    2 years ago

    The school have been communicating well with parents. It’s a real shame though to have to return to home schooling. Children thrive on routine. It’s also challenging for those children who rely on free school meals ( The school have provided vouchers not sure if they teach all) and parents who need to be in the workplace and can’t work from home every day. The year 11s have GCSEs too. Let’s hope the school can return to normality after Feb half term.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Blatchington Mill pupils not all back until after half term

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Labour picks candidate for Goldsmid by-election

Woman admits pulling fellow mum’s braids out and smashing glasses during school run attack

New Greggs update: A27 traffic chaos to end within 24 hours, says MP

Three women recovered off Brighton beach not believed to have attended nightclub

i360 UFO delusions lead to bus stop attacks

Lewes brewery plans taproom and pizza restaurant next to Prince Albert

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
credit - Claire Gaby

Tonight – Bert and Nasi

17 May 2026

MEAT – preview

17 May 2026
The Doris Show, Brighton Lantern Theatre, May 14-16th 2026

Doris Daydream Brings Nostalgia

17 May 2026

Norman’s Big Day Out

16 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex chase impressive first innings total at Somerset

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
16 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 22-1 (5.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (4 points) by 504 runs Centuries...

Load More
January 2024
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News