• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Date set for Brighton by-election

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 8 Aug, 2025 at 11:57AM
A A
28
Date set for Brighton by-election

A date has been set for the Queen’s Park by-election, which will take place next month.

One of the two seats in the Brighton ward is up for grabs following the resignation of Labour’s Tristram Burden.

Councillor Burden is becoming a local authority inspector for the Care Quality Commission – a job which would create a conflict of interest with his role as councillor.

A by-election is being held on Thursday, 18 September.

The ward’s other councillor, Milla Gauge, is also Labour. She was elected with 46% of the vote at a by-election in May last year.

The Lib Dems have selected Rüdi Dikty-Daudiyan as their candidate.

Rüdi is a freelance translator who plays for Queens Park Tennis Club and volunteers for the Pug Dog Welfare & Rescue Association. He lives in the ward with his husband and dog Emma

He said: “I couldn’t be happier to have made Brighton my home, but like many of our residents, I’m concerned about how it’s being run.

“The current Labour council has a massive majority, and yet, we’re not seeing the results we deserve.

“This is the sixth expensive by-election being held since they came into office. That’s money that could have been spent on improving pavements, dealing with bins and recycling and anti-social behaviour.

“If elected, I would focus on getting the basics right.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 28

  1. Katy says:
    1 year ago

    The Lib Dem chap didn’t do too well when he stood in Surrey in 2022 and 2023. I suspect the same in Queens Park. Like all of Kemptown, this is a straight fight between Labour and the Greens.

    Reply
  2. Martin Dingle says:
    1 year ago

    Why focus on the lib dem candidate, what happened to equality. Is this paper being sponsored by the lib dems or something? Please be honest and list the other candidates with their portfolio as well

    Reply
    • Alex says:
      1 year ago

      I was thinking the same!

      Reply
    • Benji, Attack Poodle says:
      1 year ago

      I don’t think the other parties have announced their candidates yet. We usually get an article for each!

      Reply
  3. Riley says:
    1 year ago

    Time for reform

    Reply
    • Kreezly says:
      1 year ago

      The day a brain-dead deform stooge wins a council seat in Brighton I’ll stick my life savings on Whitehawk winning the Champions League

      Reply
      • kemptownresident says:
        1 year ago

        May 2027 – see you in Paddy Power

        Reply
        • Benji, Attack Poodle says:
          1 year ago

          Reform has not won any council seat to date and has consistently placed low in every election in Brighton.

          Reply
  4. Ann E Nicky says:
    1 year ago

    Thankfully we will have no Reform idiots putting their heads above the parapet! However the candidate states that the money used for by-elections could be better used for other things is either disingenuous or indicative of his naivity of the workings of local government!

    Reply
    • Benji, Attack Poodle says:
      1 year ago

      There was one at the last by-election, although I remember he got blasted, quite rightly, for his racist bigotry tweets, which he then double-downed on.

      Reply
      • Martin fisher says:
        1 year ago

        No that was a dosgy smear campaign by those idiots at SUTR, no racist tweets, no bigotry – that all comes from the left who just blindly scream “racism” at anyone who doesn’t agree with their open borders / bankrupt the country approach to politics. And of course there are the lies…….

        Reply
      • kemptownresident says:
        1 year ago

        Oh dear, the intolerant left doing what they do best. No bigotry or racist tweets – stop making up your own narrative. The police got involved as he received threats of being beaten up by violent thugs on the left thanks to the lies spread by SUTR / Socialist worker idiots. Not agreeing with the governments shameful approach to illegal migration does not make you a racist. Labour are tanking, people were sold a lie and change is coming. The hard left are dangerous and cruel, screaming “racism” at anyone without stopping to think how ridiculous they are being. Intolerant and damaging, stifling any opposition with childish, hateful, blind ignorance. Grow up!

        Reply
        • Benji, Attack Poodle says:
          1 year ago

          Certainly, D, your loyalty to him is always going to be defensive. Unfortunately for your argument, there’s a clear paper trail, even after he deleted his account.

          Brighton & Hove News reported his own posts included calling immigration an “invasion,” warning about the so-called “Islamisation of England,” and mocking Sadiq Khan as a “drama queen” for speaking out about racism. The Reform Brighton account also retweeted the leader of Britain First and Turning Point UK. These aren’t fabrications — they’re his own words, admitted to in his own defence.

          Police involvement doesn’t erase the fact that those posts existed or that people were justified in finding them offensive. Disagreeing with migration policy is one thing; targeting entire religious or ethnic communities is quite another, and it’s exactly that line he crossed. Not to mention his habit of calling women “stupid” in other exchanges.

          And no, “I’m gay and married to a legal migrant” isn’t the get-out-of-bigotry-free card he seems to think it is — it’s the same logic as “I have Black friends” and it convinces nobody.

          Trying to pretend it never happened is just rewriting history. The receipts are there, and you’re not very good at hiding them.

          https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2025/04/22/election-candidate-deletes-twitter-account/

          Reply
    • Sanderson says:
      1 year ago

      As usual the intolerant hard left, spouting hatred whilst the country turns to Reform. The tide is turning, enjoy your moment 😉

      Reply
    • kemptownresident says:
      1 year ago

      Yet again the hateful left, be careful what you wish for dear

      Reply
      • Benji, Attack Poodle says:
        1 year ago

        Facts aren’t “hateful,” – They’re just inconvenient for people trying to rewrite history.

        Reply
  5. Ten lords a farking says:
    1 year ago

    No doubt some useful idiot pandering to Hamas will get elected. 🤦‍♂️

    Reply
    • Benji, Attack Poodle says:
      1 year ago

      Ward Councillors, of any persuasion, have next to no influence on global politics.

      Reply
  6. Sahar says:
    1 year ago

    We don’t want any labour fxxking party in Brighton & hove.

    Reply
  7. Sahar says:
    1 year ago

    We don’t any Labour fxxking party for Brighton.

    Reply
  8. Patcham Guy says:
    1 year ago

    Funny how Reform are doing so well up north, and Keir Starmer is less popular than Maggie Thatcher! I guess Brighton is full of so called progressives. Not good for Brighton.

    Reply
    • Benji, Attack Poodle says:
      1 year ago

      The North is interesting because it is indicative of a collapsing Conservative voter base and a slow growth of a Labour one, rather than a declining Labour. Constituencies where Reform excels align closely with areas that voted strongly to Leave the EU in 2016 too, so there are interesting patterns which appear to be shaped by a blend of cultural and economic disaffection.

      They don’t need fully worked policy to resonate; they just need to echo frustrations people already feel. Which is difficult to counter in a way that is engaging to the regular public voter.

      Reply
    • kemptownresident says:
      1 year ago

      Reform did well in Kent, Brighton is a tough nut to crack but the way things are going………. 🙂

      Reply
  9. Dan says:
    1 year ago

    2nd Labour cllr to stand down in the ward in 2 years, they just don’t give a monkeys!

    Hopefully they get sent a message they deserve

    Reply
    • Benji, Attack Poodle says:
      1 year ago

      Well, Mistry never really started the job, and was seen soon afterwards with the Cons Robert Jenrick after she was expelled. There’s not an insignificant chance she was put in there as a plant.

      Reply
  10. Angela Taylor says:
    1 year ago

    I wish Reform would get in. They seem to be the only set of councillors that seem bothered about cutting council waste. The could make sure taxpayers are getting proper value for money. I can’t afford to vote for Labour or the Greens anymore.

    Reply
  11. Ken says:
    1 year ago

    At least the lib/dems have got their act together to let the people know who is going to be there for them early but also it does give the others time to dig up any scandal!!
    Although I don’t live in the ward I wish him and the lib/dems all the best for being organised

    Reply
  12. Lyn says:
    1 year ago

    The Greens are dangerous.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Date set for Brighton by-election

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
August 2025
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News