• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Café owner awaits licence decision after neighbours object to late closing

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Tuesday 16 Jun, 2026 at 8:12PM
A A
0
Neighbours object to café’s plan to sell alcohol and stay open later

A café boss is waiting to learn whether he can have a licence to sell alcohol after neighbours objected.

They said that they were worried about potential noise and anti-social behaviour at Billies Café, in Hampton Place, Brighton, on the corner of Upper North Street.

A Brighton and Hove City Council licensing panel held a hearing today (Tuesday 16 June) after six residents and a councillor objected to the application by Billies for a premises licence.

The owner, Hani Abadi, 48, has applied for a licence to sell drink from 11am to 11pm daily.

Neighbour Jacky Millar (corr) has lived in Hampton Place for 40 years. She spoke on behalf of residents and said that the community had had a good relationship with Billies over the years.

But people in the neighbourhood felt that another drinks licence in a street with a restaurant at the bottom, the Hampton Arms next door and the Windmill further along the road was not balanced.

She said: “To ask for an alcohol licence seven days a week until 11 at night I think is excessive and will upset the pleasure of living in Hampton Place.

“There’s also the issue of noise. These are listed buildings. There’s single glazing to the café. Noise will, I feel, definitely affect the street.”

Hampton Place is in the Montpelier and Clifton Conservation Area, with the majority of houses grade II listed.

Labour councillor Alison Thomson, who represents Regency ward, spoke on behalf of an Upper North Street resident who had experienced anti-social behaviour in the area.

Councillor Thomson read from the resident’s statement, saying: “The police have advised those of us who live in Upper North Street to instal ring doorbells for our personal safety because of theft, property damage and the concentration of alcohol-led disturbances in the immediate area.

“I’ve had to call the police while stuck in my car because of a brawl opposite my home and I was particularly concerned about knife crime.

“I’ve also had to make two complaints to the police for damage to my property from paint being thrown at my door.”

She also said that the area had limited parking.

Council licensing officer Donna Lynsdale said that “robust” draft licence conditions had been agreed with Sussex Police which was why the force had not objected to the application.

These included restricting alcohol sales to people sitting at tables with a main meal and displaying signs reminding customers to leave quietly.

The council’s licensing team did not object to the application because it complied with council licensing policy.

Mr Abadi, who has owned the café for 15 years, told the panel that his staff would receive regular training on the sale of alcohol.

He told the panel that the business had made losses in two of the past three years. It lost £5,000 in 2023 and £9,000 in 2024 although it did make a £9,000 profit last year.

Mr Abadi said: “I don’t want to do evenings. I don’t want to get alcohol. I was happy with what we were taking.

“The reason behind this? I’m sure everybody knows – the increase in prices, the minimum wage, petrol, the rent, expenses, everything.”

One of the panel members, Conservative councillor Ivan Lyons, asked if Mr Abadi would accept a 10.30pm closing time. He said that he would.

The panel of three councillors – Andrei Czolak, Ivan Lyons and Ollie Sykes – retired to make their decision which should be made public within five working days.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Café owner awaits licence decision after neighbours object to late closing

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
June 2026
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News