• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Labour members in Moulsecoomb and Bevendean urged to join discussion on suspended councillor

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 13 Aug, 2014 at 11:13AM
A A
5

Labour members in Moulsecoomb and Bevendean are being urged to attend a ward party meeting this evening (Wednesday 13 August) to discuss the suspension of a local councillor.

An email from ward party chairman Robert Brown to the three ward councillors and Labour’s parliamentary candidate for Brighton Kemptown Nancy Platts also asks for her help while warning about damaging fallout.

It follows the suspension of Councillor Leigh Farrow. He has also been told that he cannot be a candidate in the local elections next year – the second attempt to deselect him.

And it follows the suspension of fellow Moulsecoomb and Bevendean councillor Anne Meadows last year.

Earlier this year concerns were raised when the third councillor Mo Marsh almost lost a selection contest after a handful of votes were miscounted.

Mr Brown wrote: “If they (ward party members) turn up and find that one of the councillors has been deselected without consulting the ward members and if Leigh is not reinstated to his post, I can see members leaving the party because it is undemocratic and a hidden few are overruling the members’ wishes.

“This could backfire no only on the council elections next year but also the general election.

“It will look as if Labour cannot work together in the city and as a party in the Kemptown ward.

“The Tory members are just clapping their hands together at this.

“They will say look at Labour. They deselect candidates which the ward has selected and how can you trust them if they do not do what their own party members want?

“This could mean that the city will not trust Labour and the small amount of councillors we do have may become less.

“What the repercussions will be for Nancy I hate to imagine. I hope she can help in this matter. We need a very quick timeline to get this problem over and dealt with.

“We need clear guidance in what needs to be done. If Leigh is not reinstated, a new candidate must be in post by (the) end of October so they can be introduced to ward members and up and running and involved in the ward.”

Mr Brown apologised to Councillor Farrow for sounding mercenary but said that he had to work for the ward’s sake.

Councillor Farrow won back what is regarded as a safe Labour seat on Brighton and Hove City Council in 2011. It was lost to a Conservative, Maria Caulfield, in 2007 after two sitting councillors stood down amid divisions.

Mr Brown continued: “We will fight on your behalf, and hope that Nancy will fight from her end, to see democracy is and the power of the people is empowered.”

An email from another party member, Ray Metcalfe, carried a similar message.

Mr Metcalfe wrote: “Here we go again. After the slurs against Anne Meadows when she finished her stint as mayor we had the farcical election for the prospective candidates for the Moulsecoomb and Bevendean ward where it was obvious the executive were trying to shoehorn in their preferred choice at expense of Mo Marsh.

“Now it is Leigh Farrow in the firing line.

“If this continues, the people who pull the strings won’t have any strings to pull and the ward will be lost!”

A candidate from the earlier selection contest, Harris Fitch, has ruled himself out of the running.

Mr Fitch, who stood in the safe Conservative seat of Rottingdean Coastal in 2011, said that he was now employed in a politically restricted post. As a result, he said, he could not stand in the elections in May next year.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. Valerie Paynter says:
    12 years ago

    This is appalling. In recent months the Labour Party –
    HAD begun to look electworthy but now seems brutish.

    Bad enough we learn that Peter Kyle, standing for parliament in Hove, took a £10,000 donation from the former would-be King Alfred developer Josh Arghiros (Karis) which is chilling enough and now THIS ….. AGAIN!

    Leigh Farrow is an honest councillor who seemingly won’t be ‘druv’ it seems and maybe those doing the driving are the ones who should be removed.

    Reply
  2. Valerie Paynter says:
    12 years ago

    This is appalling. In recent months the Labour Party –
    HAD begun to look electworthy but now seems brutish.

    Bad enough we learn that Peter Kyle, standing for parliament in Hove, took a £10,000 donation from the former would-be King Alfred developer Josh Arghiros (Karis) which is chilling enough and now THIS ….. AGAIN!

    Leigh Farrow is an honest councillor who seemingly won’t be ‘druv’ it seems and maybe those doing the driving are the ones who should be removed.

    Reply
  3. George Coombs says:
    12 years ago

    Yes, I largely agree with Valerie Paynter, the local party is looking as “brutish” as other aspects of the council, a core problem I have found is that the council do not REALLY listen to anyone-her point about this Peter Kyle is also valid, there is too much say one thing and do another

    Reply
  4. HJarrs says:
    12 years ago

    Labour undemocratic? Never!

    Reply
  5. feline1 says:
    12 years ago

    Well, that’s socialism for you, etc etc 🙂

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

1,500 homes without water

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Labour members in Moulsecoomb and Bevendean urged to join discussion on suspended councillor

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Love Supreme Jazz Festival announces full 2026 line-up

Love Supreme Jazz Festival announces full 2026 line-up

20 May 2026
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Olly Alexander, Goodbye To Berlin, Charleston Festival, Monday 25th May 2026

Olly Alexander Explore Christopher Isherwood

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
August 2014
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News