• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton i360 to be given financial breathing space

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 26 Jun, 2018 at 4:53PM
A A
1
i360 passengers stuck for two and a half hours as pod breaks down

The Brighton i360 is to be given a financial breathing space, subject to political agreement at a meeting on Thursday (28 June).

A report to councillors published yesterday (Monday 25 June) recommends deferring a £570,000 payment until the end of the year.

But Brighton and Hove City Council has budgeted up to £50,000 to pay a specialist consultant to look at refinancing options for the £50 million seafront attraction.

And the council may also insist on sending in a consultant to the Brighton i360 to bolster the company’s financial performance.

This financial breathing space, which is expected to be agreed, will give the council, the i360 and the Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership (the LEP) until the end of the year to reach a long-term deal.

The council brokered a £36.2 million loan for the i360 from the Public Works Loan Board.

Under the deal the i360 pays the council £570,000 every six months – or £1.14 million a year.

The i360 also borrowed £4 million from the LEP which is due to discuss the matter at its next board meeting early next month.

So far all payments due from the i360 have been made on time and the report to councillors said that the business had already generated an extra £2.4 million for the council.

And the attraction has directly created 116 jobs on site, with three quarters of those staff coming from the local area.

But visitor numbers have been below forecast, with bad weather and unreliable trains among the reasons being blamed.

The council said that the new i360 chief executive Steve Bax had taken about £450,000 of costs out of the business.

He is said to have brought a renewed focus to driving up visitor numbers and generating extra revenue from other sources.

The report to councillors says: “Despite the lower than anticipated visitor numbers, the i360 has been a major revenue generator with over £12 million gross income and £3 million net operating profit achieved to date before financing costs are taken into account.

“The council needs to respond to the anticipated default and engage in dialogue with the LEP and the i360 to agree loan restructuring which secures the future of the i360 in the long term thereby protecting the council’s investment.

“A further report will be brought to Policy, Resources and Growth Committee on (Thursday) 6 December.”

Potential restructuring and proposed financial breathing space and are due to be discussed at a special meeting of the council’s Policy, Resources and Growth Committee at Hove Town Hall on Thursday.

The meeting is open to the public but the crucial financial details may be discussed behind closed doors, with a “restructure proposal” set out in a 34-page confidential report.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. rolivan says:
    8 years ago

    Have Brightoni360holdings Ltd asked The West Pier Trust for a rent reduction?

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Brighton i360 to be given financial breathing space

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

by Edward Elliot - PA
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 4 Aston Villa 0 Jack Hinshelwood struck twice in two first-half minutes as a rampant Brighton...

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Load More
June 2018
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News