• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton event organisers urged to use less disposable plastic

by Frank le Duc
Friday 3 Aug, 2018 at 7:23PM
A A
0
Brighton event organisers urged to use less disposable plastic

Pressure is growing on major event organisers in Brighton and Hove to avoid single-use plastics and to cut down on litter.

They may even have to show how they will meet the growing demands to be greener if they are to gain permission to host events.

Councillors and campaigners hope to sway those running some of the biggest events, including the Brighton Marathon.

But Pride appears to have anticipated the trend for a sustainable approach, having recently set out its aim to switch to more environmentally-friendly supplies.

The current drive appears to stem from a push for Brighton and Hove City Council to sign up to the “Plastic Free Pledge” which it did last year.

The move followed a motion proposed by Conservative councillor Steve Bell to ban the purchase of single-use plastics in all council buildings and agencies. It won cross-party support.

Green councillor Phélim Mac Cafferty also won the backing of all parties when he called on the council to go further and press event organisers harder to reduce plastic use.

He said that the council should strengthen its sustainable event “commitment form” at a meeting of the council’s Policy, Resources and Growth Committee.

Councillor Mac Cafferty said:  “We have to think really hard in a way other cities do not have to because we are by the sea. We have to go that little bit further.”

He asked council officers to look at the possibility of organisers having to commit to avoid using single-use plastics before being given permission by the council to hold events.

So far this year key events across the city, including Pride, have committed to a drastic reduction in plastic use.

The Great Escape music festival used reusable and compostable alternatives to plastic and segregated its waste.

Cups at the event were made from starch. These take about 12 weeks to break down in landfill compared with up to 400 years for conventional plastic.

The Great Escape also banned plastic straws from all its bars and employed litter pickers during the event.

The Spiegeltent at the Brighton Fringe worked with the Brighton and Hove Sustainable Business Partnership to create a single-use plastics policy.

It offered free tap water in jugs and biodegradable cups and banned plastic straws.

Plastic wine glasses were reused and no bottled water was sold on site.

Councillor Bell raised the issue of plastics at the Brighton Marathon when the matter came up most recently.

He said: “When the Brighton Marathon happened this year there was a lot of negative publicity about the use of single-use plastics.

“It’s something we need to address next year.”

Councillor Steve Bell

In response, Nick Hibberd, the council’s executive director of economy, environment and culture, said: “Regarding the marathon, yes. Those conversations are taking place.

“For a big event such as the Brighton Marathon the pressure doesn’t just come from us at the council but also from the participants.

“They want to get involved with events with strong sustainability programmes.

“What we do want to ensure is that it doesn’t create a different waste stream with difficulties with recycling.

“We want to be quite clear with our policy and we want to work with event organisers rather than being dictatorial.”

The Brighton Marathon was approached for comment.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton event organisers urged to use less disposable plastic

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
August 2018
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News