• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Formal review launched into homeless accommodation deaths

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 15 Nov, 2018 at 3:01PM
A A
2
Investigation into how seven homeless people died at single housing block in two years

Kendal Court

Kendal Court

A systematic review of all homeless deaths is being carried out by Brighton and Hove City Council as concerns rise over the health of rough sleepers.

This afternoon, councillors are due to discuss a spate of deaths in council-provided emergency and temporary accommodation in the light of five deaths at Kendal Court in Newhaven this year and 31 deaths in council placements over the last two years.

At yesterday’s health and wellbeing board, it was revealed none of those at Kendal Court met the criteria for an adult safeguarding review – but that a wider reviews is in the pipeline.

Chair Karen Barford said: “We are carrying out a systematic review of all homeless deaths and will agree a way of learning from practise and procedures, in addition to adult safeguarding reviews.

“In Kendal Court none of the deaths [met the criteria for] an adult safeguarding review.”

The issue was discussed after Fiona Sharpe from homelessness charity Galvanise, called for a review into the deaths of every rough sleeper and people in temporary and supported housing provided by the council, and to publish anonymised reports into each investigation.

As well as the 31 deaths reported by the council, Mrs Sharpe said the Bureau of Investigative Journalism has reported 449 homeless people died on the streets last year, with approximately 20 in Brighton and Hove.

The meeting also heard about a delay opening the winter night shelter in its second year after no organisation tendered to run it. The council-run night shelter opens with 30 beds on 24 November at its original location, the Brighton Centre.

In September the new rough sleeper hub opened with 17 beds and the churches night shelter is open with 15 beds.

The new triggers for the severe weather shelter, which will now be based on “feels-like” temperature to acknowledge wind-chill, will begin at the end of November.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Pingback: Over 500 a year. Revealed: the UK homeless deaths this Tory government refuses to count | The Land Is Ours
  2. Pingback: More than 500 homeless people have died in the last 12 months in the UK – Politics and Insights

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Formal review launched into homeless accommodation deaths

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
November 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News