• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Formal review launched into homeless accommodation deaths

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 15 Nov, 2018 at 3:01PM
A A
2
Investigation into how seven homeless people died at single housing block in two years

Kendal Court

Kendal Court

A systematic review of all homeless deaths is being carried out by Brighton and Hove City Council as concerns rise over the health of rough sleepers.

This afternoon, councillors are due to discuss a spate of deaths in council-provided emergency and temporary accommodation in the light of five deaths at Kendal Court in Newhaven this year and 31 deaths in council placements over the last two years.

At yesterday’s health and wellbeing board, it was revealed none of those at Kendal Court met the criteria for an adult safeguarding review – but that a wider reviews is in the pipeline.

Chair Karen Barford said: “We are carrying out a systematic review of all homeless deaths and will agree a way of learning from practise and procedures, in addition to adult safeguarding reviews.

“In Kendal Court none of the deaths [met the criteria for] an adult safeguarding review.”

The issue was discussed after Fiona Sharpe from homelessness charity Galvanise, called for a review into the deaths of every rough sleeper and people in temporary and supported housing provided by the council, and to publish anonymised reports into each investigation.

As well as the 31 deaths reported by the council, Mrs Sharpe said the Bureau of Investigative Journalism has reported 449 homeless people died on the streets last year, with approximately 20 in Brighton and Hove.

The meeting also heard about a delay opening the winter night shelter in its second year after no organisation tendered to run it. The council-run night shelter opens with 30 beds on 24 November at its original location, the Brighton Centre.

In September the new rough sleeper hub opened with 17 beds and the churches night shelter is open with 15 beds.

The new triggers for the severe weather shelter, which will now be based on “feels-like” temperature to acknowledge wind-chill, will begin at the end of November.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Pingback: Over 500 a year. Revealed: the UK homeless deaths this Tory government refuses to count | The Land Is Ours
  2. Pingback: More than 500 homeless people have died in the last 12 months in the UK – Politics and Insights

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

New bus route to start next month

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Formal review launched into homeless accommodation deaths

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Funeral fundraiser for three sisters recovered off Brighton beach launched

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 7: 29 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 7: 29 reviews)

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA arrives at Malmaison Brighton Marina

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
November 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News