• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

New supports for crumbling Madeira Terraces

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 8 Feb, 2019 at 4:11PM
A A
2
New Madeira Terrace supports to be placed either side of Concorde2

The fenced off Madeira Terraces - Picture by Jax Atkins from 2016

The fenced off Madeira Terraces – Picture by Jax Atkins from 2016

Seven new supports are set to be erected to prop up the crumbling Madeira Terraces as the council continues to look for the funding needed to restore them.

Work on restoring three of the arches is set to start in spring, using almost £500,000 raised by a crowdfunder last year.

However, two bids for lottery money to restore all the terraces have now failed and as the arches continue to deteriorate, more supports are planned to ensure they don’t collapse.

In a planning application submitted this month, the council’s senior building surveyor Genevieve Saunders said: “Brighton and Hove City Council’s consultant structural engineers inspect the structure annually and have identified seven lattice beams which require temporary propping until such time as sufficient funds are available for the restoration.

“It is likely that further propping will be advised in future inspections.”

The props will be similar to the one already in place to the east of Concorde 2, which has been powder coated to match the “Brighton Blue” of the lattice beams.

The new props will be able to painted in the same colour, or any other colour chosen by the council’s conservation and seafront development officers.

Work on the beams is due to start in the spring, with the props in place by summer.

The listed Victorian terraces have been closed since 2013, when a routine survey uncovered structural concerns.

Subsequent surveys have uncovered substantial corrosion of the cast iron fixings keeping the 130-year-old structure up, leading to further closures and the relocation of several businesses.

An artist’s impression of the council’s preferred scheme for the renovated Madeira Terraces

The council wants to redevelop the arches with space for new businesses underneath, which will help fund the estimated £20million total cost of the scheme.

It will make another bid to for lottery money next month as well as other funding opportunities.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Dreadful Substance says:
    7 years ago

    By the time that any serious funding is available, the terraces will be in such a state of disrepair that they will have to be completely removed.

    The Greens, during their tenure, always claimed that they did not have the money to make repairs; funny how they found the money to send Green Councillors on a ‘fact-finding’ mission to Palestine, and also found money to set-up their ‘Celebrating Diversity’ unit at the council…

    Reply
  2. Quarky says:
    7 years ago

    The best place for the terraces is now the private sector, who have the capital, and the business acumen to make a scheme like this work.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

New supports for crumbling Madeira Terraces

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Missing boy found safe

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

24 May 2026
Here’s a night out not to be missed!

Here’s a night out not to be missed!

24 May 2026
Irvine Welsh, Men In Love, Charleston Festival, 23rd May 2026

Irvine Welsh charms the Charleston Festival

24 May 2026
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion reach Europe despite losing to Man Utd

Brighton and Hove Albion reach Europe despite losing to Man Utd

by Ed Elliot - PA
24 May 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Manchester United 3 The Seagulls have qualified for European football for only the second time...

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

by Frank le Duc
24 May 2026
0

Fabian Hürzeler has made three changes from last week as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United in the final...

Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Load More
February 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman dies as car and motorbikes crash 24 May 2026
  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News