• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

New supports for crumbling Madeira Terraces

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 8 Feb, 2019 at 4:11PM
A A
2
New Madeira Terrace supports to be placed either side of Concorde2

The fenced off Madeira Terraces - Picture by Jax Atkins from 2016

The fenced off Madeira Terraces – Picture by Jax Atkins from 2016

Seven new supports are set to be erected to prop up the crumbling Madeira Terraces as the council continues to look for the funding needed to restore them.

Work on restoring three of the arches is set to start in spring, using almost £500,000 raised by a crowdfunder last year.

However, two bids for lottery money to restore all the terraces have now failed and as the arches continue to deteriorate, more supports are planned to ensure they don’t collapse.

In a planning application submitted this month, the council’s senior building surveyor Genevieve Saunders said: “Brighton and Hove City Council’s consultant structural engineers inspect the structure annually and have identified seven lattice beams which require temporary propping until such time as sufficient funds are available for the restoration.

“It is likely that further propping will be advised in future inspections.”

The props will be similar to the one already in place to the east of Concorde 2, which has been powder coated to match the “Brighton Blue” of the lattice beams.

The new props will be able to painted in the same colour, or any other colour chosen by the council’s conservation and seafront development officers.

Work on the beams is due to start in the spring, with the props in place by summer.

The listed Victorian terraces have been closed since 2013, when a routine survey uncovered structural concerns.

Subsequent surveys have uncovered substantial corrosion of the cast iron fixings keeping the 130-year-old structure up, leading to further closures and the relocation of several businesses.

An artist’s impression of the council’s preferred scheme for the renovated Madeira Terraces

The council wants to redevelop the arches with space for new businesses underneath, which will help fund the estimated £20million total cost of the scheme.

It will make another bid to for lottery money next month as well as other funding opportunities.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Dreadful Substance says:
    8 years ago

    By the time that any serious funding is available, the terraces will be in such a state of disrepair that they will have to be completely removed.

    The Greens, during their tenure, always claimed that they did not have the money to make repairs; funny how they found the money to send Green Councillors on a ‘fact-finding’ mission to Palestine, and also found money to set-up their ‘Celebrating Diversity’ unit at the council…

    Reply
  2. Quarky says:
    8 years ago

    The best place for the terraces is now the private sector, who have the capital, and the business acumen to make a scheme like this work.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

New supports for crumbling Madeira Terraces

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
February 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News