• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Neighbours oppose nightclub move

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 13 Mar, 2019 at 2:48PM
A A
0
Electronic tour-de-force from music pioneer

The Haunt's very own 'Neon Lights'

The Haunt’s very own ‘Neon Lights’

Nightclub and music venue The Haunt is planning to move into a former Chinese restaurant in East Street.

The move comes as Grosvenor Casino plans to take over the venue’s space in The Savoy Centre, formerly the ABC cinema in Pool Valley.

Originally The Haunt was to move into Dirty Blonde, also in East Street, but the empty Days venue in the same building was considered more suitable.

Customers would continue to enter the venue from Pool Valley.

When it was first subdivided in 2000 the venue was The Toad pub. It became the Days Oriental Buffet in 2009.

Days closed at the end of July last year, owing the city council more than £130,000 in business rates.

The former Days restaurant

Planning applications for both venues are set to come to committee at the request of Regency ward councillors Alex Phillips and Tom Druitt, who are opposed to the plans.

In her letter to the planning department Councillor Phillips said: “As ward councillors we feel that the Cumulative Impact Zone is being compromised by piecemeal planning and licensing applications.

“This is leading to the breach of planning objectives. This includes more noise, more anti social behaviour and more police required at the southern end of East Street, all affecting residents’ quality of life immensely.”

The licensing cumulative impact zone controls the number of pubs, clubs, bars and off-licences in the city centre, as more venues leads to more alcohol-related crime and anti-social behaviour.

An anonymous objection on the council website said: “East Street is a well known high street with retail shopping units and licences restaurants.

“A public house/dance venue would not be in keeping with the high street environs and no doubt would add risk to the vandalism in the area.

“As a local resident in BN1 I, along with many others, already have to cope with the drunken antisocial behaviour, fighting, screaming, vandalism and street urination and vomit we see around the area as a result.”

Planning officers recommend councillors approve the application when it goes before the committee when it meets on Wednesday 20 March, as it would keep the live music venue.

Objections to the casino taking over The Haunt’s space raise this as a cultural issue in a letter from The Old Market venue in Hove.

A redacted letter said: “A live music venue such as The Haunt is one that creates the opportunity for musicians to feed, sustain and replenish the local arts and music scene.

“Its loss could easily see a significant collapse of the local industry.

“The presence of a music venue such as The Haunt enriches lives, conversely we feel it is an accepted and non controversial fact that gambling and casinos can and do have a distinctly damaging effect on people’s lives.”

Conservative councillor Joe Miller also objected. He is a former chair of the city’s Live Music Policy Panel.

He said: “I wholly object to the loss of this music venue in the city.

“There are very few of this sized unit in our city: as such this space provides a crucial space for step-laddering audience sizes for budding artists.

“Equally it is in a wholly appropriate location for such a use, away from any significant number of residential dwellings.”

Both applications are due to be debated by the Planning Committee when it meets in public from 1.30pm on Wednesday 20 March at Hove Town Hall.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Neighbours oppose nightclub move

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
March 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News